February 19, 2017

INA'S POPOVERS FOR SUNDAY BRUNCH


THIS was my Christmas gift from the darling!
It was PERFECT!
He has talked about POPOVERS for as long as I can remember
from a favorite childhood sleepover at his friend, Jay Fontaine's house.
They were about fourteen years old and a group of his
friends were treated to a morning breakfast of POPOVERS
that Jay's mother had prepared and they must have
made quite the impression on him....he has remembered that
breakfast for this long!
So when I received this popover pan....I was so excited
to finally learn the art of the POPOVER!


When in doubt, I turn to my kitchen superhero,
Ina Garten!
The three important steps Ina tells us is 
MAKE SURE YOUR PAN IS HEATED FOR TWO MINUTES.
Have ingredients at ROOM TEMPERATURE.
Fill each tin 2/3 FULL.


OH MY GOODNESS....
Heavenly.......


Now....this was a very big success......
Aren't they just beautiful???


I cannot believe I have waited this long to try my hand
at baking POPOVERS!


Serve with ice cold butter and then slowly
pour on that golden Texas honey......

BAREFOOT CONTESSA POPOVERS

1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted,
 plus softened butter for greasing pans
1 ½ cups flour
¾ t. salt
3 extra-large eggs, room temperature
1 ½ cups milk, room temperature

 Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Generously grease aluminum popover pans or Pyrex custard cups with softened butter. You'll need enough pans to make 12 popovers. Place the pans in the oven for exactly 2 minutes to preheat. Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, salt, eggs, milk, and melted butter until smooth. The batter will be thin. Fill the popover pans less than half full and bake for exactly 30 minutes. Do not peek.



Now.....get in my belly.......

6 comments:

  1. Betsy, That sounds so good. I am glad yours turned out so beautifully for your sweet husband. It makes me smile to think about him remembering a fun time sleep over . I can remember great foods at others' homes. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter, Summer, would make popovers when she was a teenager for our family dinners. They were delicious! I loved to go to Jay's Marine Grill on Inwood Road in Dallas years ago! They featured seafood and the waitress would come around with a huge basket of fresh from the oven popovers! I sure miss that place!! Thank you for the recipe! I'll try my hand at these when I get back home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In case you ever get desperate or destitute...
    I see a successful career for you in food photography.
    that is ...
    before you send your creations out to the customers in your 5 star restaurant.
    and p.s.
    if that's your hand. wow! it's beautiful. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. For heavens sake- I need a popover. Looks DELICIOUS!
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh- those are sooo good and I have not made them in along time. I used to make them and serve them with a warm chicken salad. I think I need to make some again!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I have been wanting to try Leslie Land's popovers for a very long time. I haven't had popovers since childhood. How amazing that your husband remembered that treat and wanted you to recreate it...the power of food memory!

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.