June

June

August 26, 2016

AUTHENTIC ITALIAN CHEESECAKE



I have always wanted to make an authentic Italian Cheesecake.
Rob was coming home for a little mini-vacation and 
requested my famous spaghetti.
So, along with baking a loaf of Mother's Dilly Bread,
I added this delightful cheesecake as a sweet ending.
This recipe was in honor of the "real Italians" in our family...
our son-in-law, Jay and his dad, Pat (Pasquale)!


This is a tiny Bar in the hills of Savoca, near Taormina.
The Divine Miss M and her family traveled to Italy
in 2007, wanting to tour the birthplace of Jay's father.
You may recognize this bar.......
it was the famous scene in the Godfather where
Michael Corleone asked the father of Appolonia Vitelli
to begin their courtship!


I am so grateful they were able to take this trip
and enjoy the gloaming hours in Italy
sipping on Limoncellos'......
I know this trip meant the world to him.....

Our beloved Pat passed away early this summer.
I love this photo of them......
of course it is framed and hung in a place of honor
in their Atlanta home.

This cheesecake has a lovely consistency and texture.
It baked perfectly.
It also has no crust.
It is not sweet like most cheesecakes,
so you will probably enjoy it more
with a very sweet topping!

AUTHENTIC ITALIAN CHEESECAKE
1 12 lbs ricotta cheese
1 3/4 cups sugar
16 ounces cream cheese
6 eggs
6 tablespoons flour
1 pint sour cream
Juice of one fresh lemon
1 tablespoon vanilla

Grease a 10" spring form pan.
Mix the ricotta, sugar, and cream cheese together.
Add 6 egg, (one at a time and mixing between each, flour, and sour cream, lemon juice, and vanilla.
Pour batter into pan and bake 1 hour at 350 F. After 1 hour, turn the oven to OFF. The important part of this step is to not open the oven door. Allow the cheesecake to remain in the oven for an additional hour.
Cool completely and spread with 1 can of cherry pie filling, fresh strawberries, or chocolate ganache.


Chocolate Ganache for the darling.....


Fresh Strawberries for Rob.....


Cherries for me!

9 comments:

  1. The cake looks really good ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Italian husband swears this is the only correct way to make cheesecake - with Ricotta cheese. I got a similar recipe from his Godmother in New Jersey years ago, but rarely make it. I like your version, so thanks for the reminder to give it a try again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my word...I must buy the special pan so I can make this...it sounds so perfect...and it would be cherries for me, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post, Betsy. Your cheesecake is beautiful! What a great photo of your son-in-law and his father. Italy has been on my heart today with the earthquake that occurred there. So sad. It's such a beautiful country full of history and wonderful people.
    Enjoy your weekend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet post, Betsy! Love the darling picture of your son-in-law and his father at the Godfather bar. That was a great movie! Your cheesecake looks beautiful and tasty! I have no Italian ancestry anywhere in my family (that I know of) but I absolutely LOVE Italian food. Italian truly is one of my very favorite cuisines (next to Southern, of course). :) Everywhere Hal and I have lived, we've always had our favorite "neighborhood" Italian restaurant, run by real Italians. Such fun.

    I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    Warm hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMMmmmmmm, I'll take mine with strawberries, please. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely!! What a special place Italy must hold for your family!
    My Louis Dean came to my rescue and undid the paper jam in my printer and then reset it so I can use it again! The main reason I use it is to print off your recipes! Thank you, again, for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must make this. hmmmmm...so interesting with no crust. but come to think of it, during my solo trip to Italy for over 6 weeks I ate their cheesecake all the time and I really don't they had crusts either. making next weekend ~ looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.