November 17, 2017

YOU'RE INVITED....NOW, WHAT CAN YOU BRING?


What's cooking in the crockpot is going to be
something to make all of your guests happy campers!

The darling and I attended a PROGRESSIVE DINNER
last weekend and I thought since it was a cool fall evening
to tour and visit eight homes, this may be the perfect
contribution by bringing a savory slow cooker bean casserole!
Everyone could easily serve themselves a little cup of
this smoky bean medley, which was infused with real
maple syrup and bites of Applewood smoked bacon!
It's a combination of chili/baked beans and barbecue....all in one!


CALICO BEANS WITH APPLEWOOD SMOKED BACON

20 ounce can baked beans
15 ounce can great northern white beans
15 ounce can black beans
15 ounce can dark red kidney beans
15 ounce can pinto beans
1 1/2 lb. Applewood smoked bacon
1 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 Tablespoons of Dijon mustard
1 cup ketchup
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup barbecue sauce
1/3 c real maple syrup


Empty baked beans into slow cooker. Open all the rest of the beans into a colander and rinse with cool water, then add them to the slow cooker.
 Dice bacon and cook until almost crisp, but not quite. Remove from pan to a separate plate and drain off most of fat.

While the bacon is cooking mix the last 6 ingredients in a bowl.
 Add onions to bacon fat and sauté until soft but not browned.
Add the brown sugar mix, the bacon and the onions to the slow cooker and stir well to combine all.

Slow cook on high for 4 hours or medium for 6. You can also make this in the oven 350 degrees for about 1 hour, stir a few times while cooking.






7 comments:

  1. Ahhh...slow cooked beans! That looks so yummy and the dinners are fun to share and try something different. We may make chili this weekend...supposed to be COLD on Sunday here in NC. Enjoy your day. Any beans left? heehee! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy, That is a clever fun idea. I like mixing different beans. Sweet little video. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is wonderful.
    I remember progressive dinners in Virginia. I was a teenager and we would have one part of the meal at each house.
    and especially delightful at the holidays to see each home's cozy Christmas finery.
    thank you for a lovely memory of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No one in my immediate family would sit down and eat beans. I love beans and these sound good. Saving this recipe. The progressive dinner and home tours sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betsy.. the more I read your blog, the more I miss Texas. This looks positively delish! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll bet it smelled so good!! I have a similar baked bean recipe and always goes over very well with a crowd. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can just taste this wonderful dish! (I'd have to leave out the bacon)! My hubby is in San Antonio helping a credit union and when he talks about the food, I'm missing those flavors of the Southwest. Thank you for the recipe, XOXO

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.