September 24, 2021

COCONUT CREAM FRIED PIES

 


Today marks the beginning of the Texas State Fair!
Yes indeed, Big Tex goes up today which is a fantastic
celebration,  since last year, the fair was cancelled due to the pandemic!


Oh the heavenly scents of the season....
apples, cypress, spice and amber......

One of the more well known treats at the Fair, are FRIED  PIES!
And,  so this post is featuring the best fried pie you have ever tasted...
COCONUT CREAM FRIED PIES!


COCONUT CUSTARD CREAM
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups whole milk
2 egg yolks
1/2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. coconut extract
1 T. butter
1/2 cup coconut

Mix sugar, flour, milk and egg yolks in a saucepan.
Stirring constantly allow mixture to come to a low boil.
Simmer about 3-4 minutes until thickened.
Add vanilla, coconut extract and butter......transfer
custard to a bowl and allow to cool.
Place in refrigerator until well set.


PIE DOUGH
2 3/4 cup flour
1 t. salt
1 t. baking powder
1 T. sugar
1/2 cup Crisco shortening
1 cup milk


Blend all ingredients well until a soft dough ball forms.
Wrap in saran wrap and chill dough for 30 minutes.
Roll dough out into desired circles, about 6 inches in diameter,
place about 2 T. custard filling in the center,
fold over the dough and crimp edges to seal.
Fry the pies in about 1/2 inch canola or peanut oil.
When golden brown, drain on paper towels and sprinkle
with sugar while hot!

One can never be sad, when eating pie.......




6 comments:

  1. What a fun recipe! I bet this could be adapted for lemon curd, different berry preserves too!

    Thanks Betsy! Will you go to the state fair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Betsy, these look sooo good!!! YUM! I do love coconut cream pie. :) Your Texas State Fair sounds like such fun; we're thinking of going to our state fair this year since it's only about two hours away from us. Hope you have a terrific weekend, my friend.

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my! my favorite pie in my favorite season! I think I've gained 10 pounds just reading this!
    but to have it in a simple small Fried Pie! you are wonderful. the Martha Stewart of Texas! LOL!
    I have to remember...
    "Tammy. look but do not touch. you have diabetes 2!"
    I do? oh Darn it! but that doesn't stop me from enjoying Watching you make it Betsy! just love you! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband would LOVE these. I'll have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness . . . my mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.