July 16, 2019

ATLANTIC BEACH PIE from CROOK'S CORNER in CHAPEL HILL, NC


THIS PIE.....lovies, THIS PIE is going to be an all time favorite
for your Summer gatherings!
It's heavenly, and so, so easy to prepare!
This pie took the Internet by storm after becoming a favorite
at Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill, North Carolina!
This pie is an original creation from Chef Bill Smith!!!!
It was interesting to note, that the filling is just like my Mother's
Lemon Pie, but the crust is made with saltine crackers, rather than 
a graham cracker crust!
You can read about the diner and chef's in this article.....



Don't let summer pass by without making this pie for your family!


I chose to use lemon and lime, but you can easily choose to use just lemons!
Grating the zest for the topping on the whipped cream will add to the flavor!


The combination of sweet and salty from the saltines is genius!


Oh this filling....you just want to grab a spoonful, right?


Believe me, this pie won't last long....everyone loved it!


For the crust
1 1/2 sleeves of saltine crackers (about 6 ounces or 60 crackers)
1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
3 tablespoons sugar
For the filling
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup lemon or lime juice or a mix of the two
Fresh whipped cream, for garnish
Coarse sea salt, for garnish

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Crush the crackers finely, but not to dust. You can use a food processor or your hands. Add the sugar, then knead in the butter until the crumbs hold together like dough. Press into an 8-inch pie pan. Chill for 15 minutes, then bake for 18 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
While the crust is cooling (it doesn't need to be cold), beat the egg yolks into the milk, then beat in the citrus juice. It is important to completely combine these ingredients. Pour into the shell and bake for 16 minutes until the filling has set. The pie needs to be completely cold to be sliced. Serve with fresh whipped cream and a sprinkling of sea salt.


5 comments:

  1. A must try recipe this summer....thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh MY! This sounds amazing! I may have to go off my eating plan for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting recipe, I would never, in a hundred years, think to use saltines for a pie crust.
    Thank you for the generous comment you left on my blog. You are a sweetheart :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Betsy,

    Happy Tuesday to you! Everything about this post title just grabbed me. My family used to go to Atlantic Beach and Morehead City, NC, when I was growing up, and I have very fond memories of those places. Secondly, I've never been to Crook's Corner, but have read a lot about it. Their Shrimp and Grits recipe, by one of the original founders, really put the restaurant on the map. It's a delicious dish, if you like shrimp and grits!

    This pie looks yummy; I always tell people I never met a lemon I didn't like. :D Thanks for sharing this with us and thanks for your visit today! Have a wonderful week!

    Big hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be still, my heart! I have GOT to make this pie! Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.