October 1, 2018

BAKING THE AWARD WINNING OATMEAL CAKE AS WE WELCOME OCTOBER

Finally....October is here!
THE most glorious month of the entire year...at least it is to me!
There is something so magical, so magnificent about October....
it seems that we can really begin to welcome the holidays...
days become shorter, the harvest moon appears, there are apple picking
adventures and hayrides, the state Fair of Texas and Friday night football games
and of course, Halloween!


I enjoy all of our decorations each and every day...
there is something so comforting about looking around
at the decorations, both new and some, very aged. 


I love my pumpkin collections....from soft velvets to the ones that illuminate....


I love keeping seasonal sweet favorites on display for 
I know these are tradition at our house! 
My gosh, from the time I was little girl.....
I recall buying this darling little dish at The Christmas Tree Shop
in Portland, Maine for a mere dollar....


Isn't this just beautiful....
I wish I could create a watercolor painting this lovely.....


I have been waiting until the first of October to hang
a pretty fall wreath on our front door....
but first I wanted to fashion a big autumn bow
as an accent.....


How gorgeous she is!!!


The darling picks out our pumpkins every year.....


The urns are now all dressed in their
autumn finest....


All we need now are the big beautiful mums.....


I decided to leave the summer wreath on the backdoor
and simply add a new wooden pumpkin in the center...
I simply adore this...good through Thanksgiving....

Now for the featured recipe....
this was known as
the Hurricane Watch Cake....or Oatmeal Cake...
It's a must-bake for fall......

OATMEAL CAKE
from......
ISLAND BORN AND BRED, NORTH CAROLINA
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

TOPPING
6 T. butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup coconut
¼ cup evaporated milk
½ cup chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 350°F. 
Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.

Combine the boiling water and the oatmeal and set aside.

Beat together both sugars, eggs, and oil. Add sifted flour soda, salt and cinnamon. Then add the oatmeal mixture.

 Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake until set, 35-40 minutes.

For the topping, turn the oven to broil. Combine the butter, brown sugar and milk in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, while stirring. Boil for one minute. Stir in the coconut. Pour over the cake, spread, then broil for one minute.

5 comments:

  1. I love seeing all of your Fall decor! It looks beautiful! As for the Oatmeal cake, I have never heard of it but it looks delicious and i will be making it soon! Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum . . . I copied and pasted your recipe onto a document and printed it out . . . now I cannot wait for a chance to bake it. I've been saving my baking to only when I have an event other wise I eat too much of it myself. I've been working hard going to Weight Watchers and finally hit my goal, and I don't want to put it back on through the holidays.
    I love sweets!!!
    Happy October and thank you for this beautiful post. Love your decorating; your home is gorgeous, you have plenty to be proud of . . . you have created a welcoming charming home.
    Happy October!!!
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that cake! It was so amazing and good. I don't dare to bake another... Everything looks October wonderful at your house! (Does it count for anything that we have shopped in the same store? Ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful fall decor! I need to get my wreath up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the urns and your wreath , at the front door. So warm and welcoming. I think I need to add a bow to mine. Oh my that cake looks yummy. I know that baking it must make the kitchen smell so good too. I love the smells of autumn. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.