May 2, 2017

ZUCCHINI SPICE CAKE WITH BUTTERMILK GLAZE


I have a confession to make......
I start baking and trying out recipes for the holidays
beginning in the spring.
I may see a recipe that sounds good, but I want to ensure
that I have "the best of the best" when it comes to Autumn celebrations
and Christmas gatherings.
This Zucchini Spice Cake is one that may be on
the "save this" list!

I learned to make a good Buttermilk Glaze way back
in college days at Ole Miss.
My Home Economics teacher taught us some fabulous
recipes and entertaining tips....
among them the Buttermilk Glaze which is perfect for a variety of desserts!



ZUCCHINI SPICE CAKE
2 cups grated zucchini
3/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup milk
2 t. vanilla
3 eggs
1 1/3 cup sugar
2 3/4 cup flour
1 T. + 1/4 t baking powder
1 1/4 t. baking soda
1 t salt
2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/8 t. ginger

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a stand mixer, blend sugar and melted butter.
Add eggs and vanilla and blend well.
Blend in the milk.
Now, add the grated zucchini and fold in the wet mixture.
Sift together dry ingredients in separate bowl.
While mixing at low speed, mix in the dry ingredients
a small amount at a time until all are incorporated.
Pour batter into a prepared bundt pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for30- 45 minutes until golden brown.
Allow to cool slightly before inverting onto serving platter.


THE BUTTERMILK GLAZE
1 cup sugar
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup butter
1 T. light corn syrup
1 t. vanilla

Combine all ingredients is a small saucepan and allow
butter to melt slowly.
Bring mixture to a simmer, then a boil,
carefully stirring all the while.
Allow to simmer until thickened.
Cool slightly before serving over cake.


To create a more Spring/Summer sweet ending,
this cake lends itself beautifully paired with fresh strawberries.

10 comments:

  1. You had me at zucchini spice. Yum!
    You have flour listed 2x as cake ingredients.
    Should one of those be for the sugar? Milk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for noticing my error...now corrected and you should be good to go! I may need new readers...heavens to Betsy!

      Delete
    2. ..can't wait to make this...it really looks delicious!
      Thank you Betsy ...you are funny.

      Delete
  2. oh my goodness that looks delicious. Will be making that next week. Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so old fashioned and wonderful! I'll be trying this for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousMay 02, 2017

    oh good grief!
    that last moist delicious picture with the fresh berries.
    heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We must be in spice mode...I made Hermits today, but then it was cool here. You are really organized!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, this is my kind of cake, spicy and no frosting. It looks extra tasty with the glaze and strawberries. You are a fabulous cook, your grandmother would be proud. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love buttermilk recipes and it just so happens I just bought some zucchini at the farmer's market--I'm making this!

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.