October 29, 2013

MY SOUTHERN BISCUITS ......LOVE TO LOVE YA' BABY

 
How in the world do you make those melt-in-your-mouth southern biscuits?
It's all about the love honey.....it's all about the love! True statement!
 
 

Every good southern girl needs to know how to make good biscuits. However, I must confess. I was taught by a Y-A-N-K-E-E! You don't say...shut the front door! Yes, so much for it being a "southern thing" ..... being able to produce good biscuits from your kitchen. I learned from my Grandmother....actually from both grandmothers. They were both Ohio born and bred and both were fantastic cooks. Nothing was served that did not come from their loving hands and hearts! I still use Grandmother Grace's rolling pin, pastry blender and her old Gladiola biscuit cutter. I treasure their old kitchen utensils and will keep them forever.



I intend to hand them down to the children along with a little note saying. "don't you dare sell these or throw them away! These are old and vintage, just like me!"


So of course, these treasured utensils will never fail to produce a soft, flaky hot biscuit.....it's enough to "really melt your buttah!" However, another secret to remember is to treat your dough with tenderness....mix gently, pat gently and roll gently!

 
ESTELLE'S SOUTHERN BISCUITS
2 cups Self-Rising Flour (Estelle’s recommends White Lily)
1/4 cup Crisco shortening
2/3 to 3/4 cups whole milk
melted butter

 


 HEAT oven to 450 degrees F.

MEASURE flour into large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender until crumbs are the size of peas. Blend in just enough milk with fork until dough leaves sides of bowl.

TURN dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently 2 to 3 times. Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Do not press hard on the rolling pin….roll out very gently and this will create a soft biscuit. Cut using floured 2-inch biscuit cutter. Place on prepared baking sheet 1 inch apart for crisp sides or almost touching for soft sides.

BAKE 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter when biscuits are hot!

 

Tune in tomorrow.....a MOST DELICIOUS JAM RECIPE TO SERVE WITH THESE BISCUITS!
 

3 comments:

  1. These look delicious. I love biscuits & jam. My mom made a great biscuit and added nutmeg. They were amazing, too. Thanks for dropping by. Hugs, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are similar to my scones only yours are more buttery so will definitely be trying them. I wish I had those lovely old hand me down utensils, how precious!

    Cheers - Joolz xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Joolz....I adore scones. So many varieties to make....I know yours must be scrumptious! Thanks for sharing and dropping by my blog...hugs to you!

      Delete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.