April 19, 2012

Peanut Butter Pie...A Good Bargaining Tool


I Need Some Retail Therapy


I have been itching.....just itching to decorate...something.....or perhaps, someone! I asked Darling if perhaps I could have a shopping trip to pick up a few new items for the Texas House! He replied that we need to be budget conscious right now with the expenses of relocating and closing on both homes at once. Did I mention The Maine House sold? Yes, indeed! A lovely family with four children purchased our home in Maine just as I had wished for. They could not have chosen a better neighborhood and house to accommodate a large family! Holidays are going to be such fun for them! Anyway, back to my request for a shopping trip......he seemed a little hesitant, so I pulled out one of his favorite recipes in my arsenal to use for bargaining power. How about I make you my Peanut Butter Pie for dinner.....in exchange for some new candle holders? Worked like a charm! We southern gals have practiced this for centuries, don't ya' know!



PEANUT BUTTER PIE
1 cup sugar
 1/4 cup flour
 pinch of salt
 3 egg yolks (reserve egg whites)
2 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
 one single-crust pie crust, baked and cooled




Meringue
3 egg whites
 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla


In a large saucepan, combine sugar, flour, a pinch of salt and the egg yolks. Over medium heat, add about 1/4 cup of the cream, stirring until combined and turns into a smooth thick paste. Gradually add the remaining cream, stirring constantly until combined. Add butter and peanut butter. Keep stirring continuously until mixture begins to thicken.
Reduce heat, continue stirring and allow to cook slowly until mixture is a thick pudding consistency and the peanut butter is fully incorporated. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes.
Pour peanut butter custard into the baked and cooled pie crust. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

To prepare meringue, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until frothy. Beat in sugar (a little at a time) until stiff and glossy. Spread over top of peanut butter custard and bake pie for 8 to 10 minutes until meringue is lightly browned. Cool and store in refrigerator.



2 comments:

  1. As if Darlin' wasn't enough! You are sharing secrets to the world, girl! So happy you have found a place to roost and the house in Maine is going to be enjoyed by a family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too Joycee..happy a large family will enjoy The Maine House. Although it is bittersweet to say good-bye to such an incredible two years! Time marches on. This pie is a southern staple..so yummy! I believe all us girlies have used our feminine charms on the loves of our lives...beginning with Daddy, right? I always enjoy your comments! Makes my day...love you Granny Mountain!

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.