Between the mid 1800s and early 1900s, covered bridges began to appear over Maine’s mighty rivers allowing travelers in horsedrawn carriages to forge rivers without getting swept downstream. These wooden structures had roofs added to protect them from the elements and had it not been for the “covers” over these bridges, the wood would have rotted and slowly disintegrated. Once there were a hundred and twenty covered bridges in the state of Maine, but fire, flood, ice, progress and the great freshet of 1896 have removed all but nine.
Babbs Bridge was built in 1864. The original bridge was burned by vandals in 1973. An exact replica was constructed and opened to traffic in 1976. It is located two and a half miles north of South Windham, then one half mile west, over the Presumpscot River between the towns of Gorham and Windham.
This bridge, built in 1868, is 70 feet long and spans the Ellis River. It has Paddleford trusses and is Maine’s shortest covered bridge. The bridge was reinforced in 1984 to carry local traffic. It is located at South Andover.
This bridge, built in 1872, is named the Artist’s Bridge because of its reputation as being the most photographed and painted of the venerable covered bridges in Maine. The bridge, an 87 foot Paddleford truss, was closed to traffic in 1958 when a new bridge was built downstream. It is located about four miles northwest of North Bethel.
This bridge, built in 1901, has trusses of the Paddleford type with a total length of 93 feet. It spans the Magalloway River. The bridge was closed to traffic in 1985. The bridge is located one and a half miles south of Wilson Mills.
Estelle's is treating us to two scrumptious Autumn dishes
Sweet Butternut Squash With Apples