February 22, 2019

PASTA FAGOLI....A FAMILY FAVORITE


One of our favorite gatherings is when we host "SOUP NIGHT!"
Winter days can be long and uneventful, but when we welcome
weary travelers home for a visit, it's a celebration....
I often serve this Pasta Fagoli soup,
which can simmer all day long and be prepared ahead of time.
This will warm your soul all the way down to your toes!


PASTA FAGOLI
2 T. olive oil
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef (lean)
1 1/2 C yellow onion (chopped)
2 medium carrots, diced (1 cup)
3 stalks celery, diced (1 cup)
3 T. garlic (minced)
3 cans tomato sauce (8 oz.)
2 cans chicken broth (14.5 oz.)
1/2 C water (more as desired)
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes (15 oz.)
2 t. sugar
1 T. Italian Seasoning
salt and black pepper
1 1/2 C dry ditalini pasta
2 cans dark red kidney beans (15 oz.) (drained and rinsed)
2 cans great northern beans (15 oz.) (drained and rinsed)
Shredded Parmesan cheese (enough per serving)


Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot cooking on medium- high heat.
Crumble the ground beef into the pot and; stir until the beef is cooked through, then drain AND set aside

Heat remaining tablespoon (1) of olive oil in same pot, then add onions, carrots, and celery into the pot, sauté the contents of the pot over medium-high heat until tender. 
Add in the garlic, Sauté for 1 minute longer.
Add the chicken broth, tomato sauce, water, canned tomatoes
to the pot.

Next add the sugar and Italian seasoning to the same pot. Stir to mix.
Add the cooked beef, seasoning with salt and pepper.

Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low, Cover with a lid.
Allow the pot to simmer, stirring occasionally.
Continue to simmer until the veggies are soft. (About 15 - 20 minutes.)

While the veggies are simmering, prepare the pasta according to directions on package. (Cooking to al dente.) Add both types of beans to the soup. Allow to cook 1 minute longer.
Stir in parsley. I put about 1/8 cup of cooked pasta in each bowl and then mix the soup in with each individual serving.  Top each bowl with Parmesan cheese. 


4 comments:

  1. If I ever reach my goal and get off Weight Watchers, that's the first recipe that I want the Mr. to make me! Have a wonderful weekend, Betsy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA!!! why am i NOT surprised that I also made soup yesterday for a girlfriend evening at my house??!!!!
    I made vegetable. I wish now I'd seen your recipe first. Looks scrumptious!!!
    Are you as tired of this weather as I am???? Wish we'd been on that ship with ms katieclooney!!!!!
    Have a good weekend, soul sistah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy, I think your soup sounds so good. I love to have soup on winter days. So we eat a lot of it here. Stews also. Something comfy about it. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this soup in restaurants, but have never made it at home. I should!

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.