April 19, 2018

CHARMING HISTORY LESSONS


Britain is world famous for its stately homes. These homes were the taste makers of their day and they relished lavish hospitality.
Who wouldn’t want to go down the back stairs and see what life in a grand country house is really like?

I know you will probably recognize 83 year old Mary Berry from a judge on the PBS series The Great British Baking Show, but she also hosts a charming little You Tube series entitled MARY BERRY’S COUNTRY HOUSE SECRETS.


I have so loved this little series as I savor breakfast and morning coffee.


It is fascinating to learn the way of life these historic homes 
have within them and what the family life was like in the past. 
It is also amazing to see the manner in which these great houses 
have been preserved over the years.


Mary takes us inside the homes as she recreates some of her marvelous recipes such as a lovely layered sponge cake, filled with strawberries and cream that she serves at a cricket match.

She learns the art of sheep shearing, according to the shepherd. Some of the homes she features in her series are Goodwood House in West Sussex, Powderham Castle, in Devon, Scone Palace, Perth and Kinross, and Highclere Castle in Hampshire.

We are given a glimpse into the aristocratic lifestyle of working, 
living and socializing even with a magical woodland dinner party!

I know if you are a fan of PBS and fascinated with history,
you will probably enjoy this series as much as I have.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for the reminder about this series! I really like Mary Berry, and I like British things, especially the houses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice way to have a good breakfast and history lesson. Every town , city or burg has a history and it's so fun to learn about each one. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. i discovered her series earlier this year and just love it! but then i love all things English!
    also love the look of your breakfast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this. I do like Mary Berry. Will watch for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been enjoying this serirs, too. I especially liked the one at Highclere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know about this series, Betsy. Thanks for sharing. Breakfast looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds wonderful! Thank you for suggesting this series. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this!...great all around..history, food...gotta love the glimpses into these homes and estates!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing about this series! I, too, didn't know about it, and I am a huge Mary Berry fan.

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.