July 20, 2016

GRANDMOTHER'S TUNA CROQUETTES



My Grandmother Grace served her
Tuna Croquettes on Saturday evenings.
On special request, she would serve
these to my grandfather for lunch. 
I believe she taught us, as children,
to enjoy simple meals....
served with a lot of love!


GRANDMOTHER'S TUNA CROQUETTES
1 (12 ounce) can of tuna
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1 T. grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
2 T. vegetable oil

In a medium bowl, combine the tuna, scallions, breadcrumbs
Parmesan cheese, egg, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Mix well.
Shape this mixture into four patties.

In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat the oil.
cook patties 5 minutes on each side until golden brown.
Grandmother served hers with mashed potatoes and peas!

Estelle's savory tip~
This is a southern finishing touch to add....
1 T. mayonnaise
1 T. sour cream
1 t. hot sauce
1/2 t. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. salt

Mix together in a small bowl and place a spoonful on each croquette.

7 comments:

  1. Betsy, I love this recipe. My parents always make something so similar. Salmon patties, mixed up near the same and served with boiled potatoes and peas. I would love this meal. Mmm, I think I will make these for lunch tomorrow. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pinned your recipe so I won't lose it! I use a similar recipe for salmon. I agree with Miss Susie...potatoes and peas just go with salmon patties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sigh.....

    :-)

    Keep cool hugs,
    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm like Susie! I use this recipe for salmon croquettes but will be trying this with tuna AND your special topping!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just tried this recipe for lunch and served it with a citrus orange salad for a light luncheon. It was wonderful, thank you for sharing and thank you grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As an added touch of gumminess, I rolled mine in panko bread crumbs and refrigerated them before I fried them. It made a crispy, golden crunch. The sauce recipe was perfect. I adjusted the recipe and used 4 cans of drained tuna and it yielded 9 2 inch servings.

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.