February 24, 2016

APPLE STREUSEL CAKE



I had totally forgotten this recipe.
It is one of my all time favorites.
Every time Mother and Daddy came to visit,
I would have this apple cake warm from the oven
to serve them with a cup of coffee.


I got this recipe as part of our wedding gift
from Ms. Tommie Booth, our backyard neighbor
in Jackson. She was just precious....
Tommie would invite us over for her infamous
coconut cake, iced tea or this apple streusel cake
and we would sit at her kitchen table and talk for a few hours.
She also made the cutest little doll clothes.
She was an avid gardener too.
She and mother would be out tending to their rose bushes
and talk over the fence most everyday.
She gave me a lovely cookbook, kitchen utensils and some
of her best recipes when I married.
I will always remember her and love her! 


APPLE STREUSEL CAKE
1 (20- ounce) can Apple Pie Filling
2 t. Cinnamon
1 cup packed Brown Sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts
3 cups Flour
1 cup Sugar
1 ½ cup Milk
½ cup Butter, softened
3 t. Baking Powder
1 t. Salt
3 Eggs
3 T. Butter, melted


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a 13 X 9 baking dish
Combine Pie Filling and Cinnamon and set aside. Combine Brown Sugar and Nuts and set aside. In large bowl combine Flour, Sugar, Milk, ½ cup Butter, Baking Powder, Salt, & Eggs. Mix on low 30 seconds beat on medium 2 minutes. Pour ½ Batter into prepared pan. Spoon ½ Pie Filling evenly over batter. Spread ½ Brown Sugar mixture evenly over pie filling. Add remaining Batter to pan and spread remaining Pie Filling over top. Mix 3 Tbsp. melted Butter with remaining Brown Sugar mixture. Spread evenly over top of cake.
Bake 45-50 minutes until tester comes out clean.     

THE GLAZE
1 ½ cup Powdered Sugar
2 T. Butter
1 ½ t. Vanilla
4-5 t. hot Water

Combine all ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over cake 20 minutes out of oven

8 comments:

  1. That looks delicious. What a nice gift for a new bride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly looks good. I think it could work for an occasion too. But I would want it for breakfast with a cup of good coffee. Yum. Blessings to you, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that 'looks good enough to eat', as my Mom used to say. And, what sweet memories you have of when you got the recipe and the lovely woman who gave it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful and long lasting wedding gift!!!

    Miss Tommie was a wise and thoughtful woman. :-)

    And oh that mantle!!!

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous wedding gift!! Can you send a piece over so I can have it with my coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I had a can of apple pie filling this baby would be in the oven right now, Betsy! Thank you for sharing such a treasured recipe. What wonderful memories of a great wedding gift! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, this looks and sounds delicious! I can only imagine how your kitchen must smell of cinnamon and apples. This would be great with a hot cup of coffee! I love the memories you have of this recipe and the lady that shared it.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh. My.
    This looks amazing.
    And thank you for sharing such a wonderful recipe.
    And thank you for sharing your wonderful wedding gift.

    Enjoyed visiting,
    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    Link up tomorrow at TOHOT#3!

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.