September 10, 2015

SLOW COOKER CORNDOG CASSEROLE...A CAMPING FAVORITE!


Time to get outdoors and savor
The Amazing Flavors of Fall...
those are camping words!


I had to laugh when I came across this recipe in my archives...
a blast from the past!

My parents started camping with us when I was about 14 years old. 
We had a pop-up camper that we towed up to 
the Smoky Mountains every fall and many summers.
It was a total blast! 
When the sheets were cold and wet when you climbed into bed from the cold, damp
mountain air, you didn't even care!
It was the best of times.
We soon, graduated to a Holiday Rambler, 
which was camping with luxury.
Then came the Airstream....
now THAT was glamping...not camping!
Mother always served gorgeous home cooked meals
which we enjoyed outside around a picnic table and 
a fire kept us warm and cozy in the firepit.
This is where I learned how to prepare the
now famous
Corndog Slow Cooker Casserole!

Oh honey..it's just what my Daddy loved...
beans, corn and cornbread!
A camper's delight! 


When the first three children came along for the
darling and me...we continued those trips!
We bought a used pop-up and traveled
up to Pigeon Forge and Elkmont
to spend autumn weekends with the kiddos!


We haven't done that in a long time
and I think it's time to do it again!


Another fun outdoor activity we used to just love
was going to explore Landmark Park in Dothan.


We enjoyed several family picnics at Landmark,
along with my parents and Miss Judy and her family.
There was a restored 1800's little house,
along with goats, turkey's, rabbits and a donkey named Patrick.
The children absolutely adored those times!


These camping and picnic days were all before our youngest was born.
I call them "the first family" and they really were.
Rob came along when Miss M was twelve and the boys were 8 and 7 years of age.
Come to think of it....I don't think I have ever made this
recipe for him.....I better correct that soon!
Miss M has already asked me for the recipe....
You may have seen or even made a version of
this vintage favorite, but this is Estelle's version!


4 (15 ounce) cans of Pinto Beans
2 packages of quality beef hot dogs 
(Estelle’s prefers Nolan Ryan Hickory Smoked franks)
½ yellow onion, diced and sautéed
1/8 cup yellow mustard
¼ cup ketchup
¼ cup brown sugar
1 package of Jiffy cornbread muffin mix
1 (15 ounce) can of creamed corn
1 large egg
¼ cup flour
2 T. vegetable oil

Place pinto beans, hot dogs (sliced), sautéed yellow onion, mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar in the crockpot and stir to combine. In a small mixing bowl, mix the remaining ingredients and spread over the top of the beans. Turn the slow cooker to LOW, cover and let cook for 6 hours. I serve ours with a dollop of sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese.

Estelle’s Savory Tip~ You can use baked beans or cans of chili in place of the pinto beans……create your own!


4 comments:

  1. We never did camping, but you certainly loved it.

    But anything with the words Slow Cooker in front of it, catches my attention. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved walking down memory lane with you. What fantastic childhoods! I have photos similar to yours and now at this late date they almost make me cry. The recipe sounds delicious. We would have gone camping more, but with seven children it was a serious undertaking. :) Especially with a Marine husband that wanted everything CLEAN! LOL When we did go it was wonderful!
    Hugs,..
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved hearing about your childhood!! I think it must be wonderful to have those special memories and then have them again with your own children! I am new to camping - only since I married Louis Dean. I did do some tent camping with my youngest two children but I can't say the kids enjoyed it!
    Thank you for that recipe! I have not seen this before but it sounds like something LD would love!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be somewhat new to camping, but you clearly fell in love with it. Perhaps it has a lot to do with your handsome and sweet LD? Probably......hope y'all enjoy the recipe!!

      Delete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.