February 24, 2015

NANA'S BLUEBERRY MUFFINS....A BIT OF WINTER'S WRATH


Who doesn't love trying new recipes for some of the old standards?
Everyone has a go-to recipe for homemade blueberry muffins, but
it's always fun to discover a new and different way to bake!


Miss M and I were talking the other day about some of our favorite cookbooks and recipes, and I made the comment that Paula Deen never failed to disappoint me in her wealth of published recipes! This recipe belongs to Miss Paula and it's yet, another winner. I had a carton of fresh blueberries in the fridge and decided to bake up some muffins! I should have made these for the grandchildren while they were visiting, but never got around to it. I sure will have it on my list for the future though! These muffins are light, moist and have a soft cake-like texture, Yep, they're on my hit parade! Hope y'all try these! 




NANA’S BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cups sugar, plus 2 teaspoons, divided
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries



Preheat oven to 350°.

Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and 1 1/4 cups sugar until fluffy and pale in color.

Add in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

In a separate mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.

Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternating with the milk until well incorporated and being careful not to over mix.

Gently fold in the fresh blueberries.

Scoop batter into the paper lined muffin tin and sprinkle the tops with the remaining 2 teaspoons sugar.

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until puffy and golden brown.

POSTSCRIPT~

Winter in Texas is normally ice! And.....when the ice man cometh, Texas hibernates. So yesterday, was the day everyone stayed by the fire. No school, working from home and most businesses and restaurants were closed. Even the weatherman said he could not find an open restaurant to get a bite to eat.





Today is no different. Wonder if the darling will work from home today? And....tonight we hear that snow is on the way....I know, I know....it's a big deal for us. However snow on top of ice is not something I choose to play in. Been there/done that. Slip, slidin'...away!


Luke sent me these pictures this morning showing me the view out the backdoor.
Snow!


Looks like he's enjoying his hot cocoa this morning and 
jumping for joy at a no school day!

We've all got our orders
Stay home and bake muffins!

6 comments:

  1. I misread your blog title. when first looking at it. thought it said a bit of writer's wrath, and I was excited.

    but it's winter's wrath. which is a very big deal, in the South. your poor folks don't know how to handle snow/ice. -gigggles-

    but you lived in Maine, so you have had your experience.

    but the rest of those drivers around you, haven't. and they are the dangerous ones. ,-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA...you could not be more on target with that comment Tessa! Texas are crazy in the rain, let alone the ice! It's those people you have to steer clear of! Listen, I fell on the ice in Maine so many times...I knew I would never survive those winters! Thanks for stopping by today!

      Delete
  2. Have another cozy day by the fire! That stuff is dangerous and you are all wise to bide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my share of falling on ice Vee.....I do not venture out until I get the "all clear!" Too darn old!!! Big hugs!

      Delete
  3. those muffins look soooooo good! definitely gonna try your recipe.
    Count me in among the mad ones about all this ice.....was supposed to drive to new Orleans tomorrow for a gal pal trip and I haven't been able to get over the bridges around here to get there. grrrrrrr....and you know how the whole world shuts down here when we have bad weather. we've been planning our trip for a year....I'm just a lil bit peeved...:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sounds like you will have to postpone your trip jmac. There is not much to do with our winter weather except stay warm and safe. It will happen, just perhaps not this week....stay calm and happy!!

      Delete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.