April 8, 2013

UNDERCOVER CHICKEN....GARDEN WHIMSY

 
I simply have the greatest admiration for those gardeners who can transform a yard space into something this beautiful and magical. I try to gather as much inspiration from them as I can to build a garden space which will create equal beauty, but I am afraid I have my work cut out for me. A touch of whimsy among the gorgeous blooms always adds interest......is this not just exquisite?
 
 
 
 
Gazing balls are a staple of southern gardens. I love the colors and varying heights of how they placed these two among the daylilies.
 
 
I first learned of bottle trees in Jackson when Felder Rushing, Mississippi's infamous Master Gardener displayed some in his yard. I am not a huge fan of them, but I do like this little display since they are all the same color and a very pretty shade of turquoise. Nor do they overwhelm the space and are tucked into the all of the greenery.
 
 
This seems like such a serene and tranquil space...
a wonderful private water garden to stop and reflect among the
hostas, ferns and lilies
 
 
I love this. The prayer garden.
 
 
 
My favorite of all......
 
Chef Holly has shared another one of her most divine recipes with us.....
OH, MY, GOODNESS!
 
 
 
Chef Holly Chute's Undercover Chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 8 ounce package of crimini mushrooms
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 T. olive oil
olive oil cooking spray
1 9- ounce bag of fresh spinach
4 slices of lean ham
4 ounces of shredded low fat Monterey jack cheese
with jalapenos
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place chicken breasts on a piece of plastic wrap. Top the chicken with another piece of plastic wrap and pound each chicken breast with a mallet until they are uniform in thickness, about 1/2 inch. Place an ovenproof saute' pan large enough to hold all of the chicken on the stove. Spray pan well with cooking spray. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat pan to medium high heat and sear the chicken on both sides. Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Add olive oil to pan, then the mushrooms and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, then lower heat to medium. Stir  mushrooms into a bowl and set aside. Leave the juice in the pan and add spinach to juice, stirring to coat the spinach. When the spinach is just wilted. place the chicken breast on top of the spinach. Top each chicken breast with a piece of ham, then top with mushrooms and shredded cheese. Cover and bake for 15 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. The cat is THE most beautiful 'garden art'!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Low-carbing after the holidays, so this dish looks perfect! Just hubs and I so I'll half it. I also think I could easily adapt to the crockpot, adding the spinach and cheese last half hour cooking time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a lovely idea Deb! Please enjoy! Happy New Year for 2015 and thank you so very much for visiting me today!

      Delete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.