November 19, 2012

The Beauty of Johnson Brothers Gravy Boats

I learned to make a good homemade gravy from my Grandmother and my mother. I suppose if you were pressed for time you could serve the gravy in a jar, but oh my darlings, there is no substitute for a good homemade gravy, especially when serving it with your holiday dinner celebrations. It is really not difficult and I urge you to give it a try. How marvelous it is over open- faced turkey sandwiches the day after Thanksgiving! I have always adored Johnson Brothers china and the gravy boats especially. Let's enjoy taking a look at some of these beautiful designs, which have always and will forever be, my favorites!  


Johnson Brothers Harvest

 
Johnson Brothers Millstream Blue

Johnson Brothers Strawberry Hill Pink

Johnson Brothers Acanthus

Johnson Brothers Old Britain Castles

 
Johnson Brothers Normandy Flow Blue


Johnson Brothers Queens Bouquet

Lawd, lawd, doesn't this look divine!

Homemade Turkey Gravy
1 stick of unsalted butter
 1 1/2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
 Defatted turkey drippings plus chicken stock to make 2 cups, heated
1 T. brandy
1 T. white wine
1 T. heavy cream

In a large 12-inch saute pan, cook the butter and onions over medium-low heat for 12 to 15 minutes, until the onions are lightly browned. Don't rush this step; it makes all the difference when the onions are well-cooked.

Sprinkle the flour into the pan, whisk in, then add the salt and pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the hot chicken stock mixture and Cognac, and cook uncovered for 4 to 5 minutes until thickened. Add the wine and cream, if desired. Season, to taste, and serve. Note: I make chicken stock, by taking chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, generously sprinkled with rotisserie seasoning, garlic powder and pepper, then drizzled with olive oil and baking them in a 300 degree F. oven for one hour. This makes very flavorful drippings. Then I boil the turkey giblets and combine this with the drippings for the stock. Chop up some of the giblets to be mixed in with the gravy. There is no actual recipe for this, it's just how Mother and Gram did it!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.