February 12, 2012

What's in Your Beauty Bag?

Saturdays are normally "errand days!" You know, you rush around to the grocery store, pick up or drop off the dry cleaning, run to Lowe's or Home Depot for a new tool or gardening item, spend an hour or so browsing through the bookstore...doing all the errands you did not accomplish during the week. It used to be that we were rushing off to soccer practice which took most of our weekends. When that ended, this was replaced by the grandchildren's sports activities. Now, Darling and I can slow the pace somewhat, but still manage to motor around most of the day, accomplishing our chores to head into the week. Even though, I start him out with a good breakfast, he is complaining of hunger pains by 11:00 AM.

"Hey, how about a cheeseburger and fries from McDonald's?", he asks. "What! No, we don't need to eat fast food!", I replied. Well, since he was in the driver's seat, I found us pulling into the McDonald's parking lot and making our way into the maddening lunch crowd at the local McD's! He opted for one of those big combo meals, and I on the other hand, requested the $1.00 yogurt parfait. So, after filling his tummy with the best of crispy french fries and a big ole' burger, I commented that I was a "cheap date!" He laughed and said, "yes, this time, I guess you were....you only cost me a dollar for your lunch!" Then......my wheels began to turn........"Do you think we could swing by Target before heading home.....I forgot to pick up a birthday card I needed?" So.....he was sweet enough to make a little detour and off we headed to one of my favorite stores....T-A-R-G-E-T (often times pronounced Tar-Jay). Now, this is my therapy! I could spend hours browsing the bed and bath isles!



I came out with some delicious new beauty finds! Good enough to share.......


Strawberry Margarita, Tutti Frutti Tongo, Big Apple Red



ColorSensationals by Maybelline
Coral Crush, Pink Peony, Coral Lustre, Very Cherry, Warm Me Up

On the drive home, he turned to me and asked, "Now how much did your little beauty bag cost me?" "Well, I believe the total of my new beauty products came to around $55.00." His reply? "Dahlin'....you may be cheap date, but you have always been an expensive wife!" Kisses, darling!

Not to worry....I always reward his generosity with one of his
favorite little sweets!



STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM CAKE
1 roll  refrigerated sugar cookie dough
1 1/4 cups unsalted, softened
3/4cup granulated sugar
3 eggs
3 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla Extract
2 1/4 cups all purpose Flour
1can (14 oz)  Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/3 cup Strawberry Preserves
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1lb fresh strawberries, sliced (2 1/2 cups)
 
Heat oven to 350°F. Let cookie dough stand at room temperature 10 minutes to soften. Spray 13x9-inch pan with  Cooking Spray. Break up cookie dough in pan; press to cover bottom of pan. 2 In large bowl, beat butter and granulated sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and 2 teaspoons of the vanilla until well blended. On low speed, alternately beat in about 1/3 of the flour and 1/2 of the condensed milk, ending with flour addition, until blended. Pour batter over dough in pan, spreading gently to cover. 3 Drop teaspoonfuls preserves onto batter; with knife, swirl preserves into batter. 4 Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until edges are golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool until slightly warm, about 1 hour. 5 In small bowl, beat whipping cream, powdered sugar and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. 6 Serve warm cake with whipped cream and strawberries.

1 comment:

  1. We may be expensive, but I bet he would say you are worth your weight in GOLD! Love the pretty summer colors you chose for nails!

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.