August 4, 2011

A Dream Kitchen....My Affection for Roosters!

The rooster is a symbol of many things to many cultures. What I like best about the rooster symbol is that displaying a rooster in your kitchen is said to be a symbol of luck, health, and prosperity. Whether it's a rooster clock, cookie jar, wall paper, dish towels, trivet, or just a ceramic rooster sitting on the back of the stove watching over the kitchen. Seeing a kitchen rooster not only makes me feel at home it makes the entire kitchen warm and comfortable and inviting. I think I like it best because it gives me that feeling of nostalgia, like when I was young, eating cookies in my grandmother's kitchen. (see, here I wander back to memories of grandmother's kitchen!)


Texas kitchen at Thanksgiving. Border displayed French Country Roosters and Baby Hens!


In continuing with my thoughts on a kitchen design in a new home, I believe my last consideration would be deep shades of red and sunny yellows again incorporating a french country motif. Sunlit mornings in this octagonal breakfast room don't begin with the sound of a rooster crowing, nor do its French doors open to the rolling hills of a New England landscape--but you'd never know it to sit inside this kitchen. Perhaps a classic black-and-white design scheme, softened by warm country red, can transport us to the historic look of the Northeast. 


I have an oak reproduction table with  MacClesfield-style chairs that I had loaned to one of the boys. Perhaps I can "borrow" this back and then invite them over for Sunday dinner as a bribe!  A quadrant of roosters inspired the palette, expressed in the draperies, iron chandelier shades, and toile cushions with red welting. The octagonal room, off the kitchen, features French doors and a turreted ceiling. Now this seems like a happy design for all seasons! Whatcha' think Darling?

A Susan Winget Print...Perfect!


Earlier this week, Darling requested one of his favorite of  all-time desserts!
German Chocolate Marshmallow Almond Cake



1 box German Chocolate cake mix

Bake as directed on box.

Filling:
1 c. evaporated milk
1 c. sugar
24 lg. marshmallows
1 (7 oz.) bag Angel Flake coconut

Combine milk and sugar; add marshmallows and heat until melted.
 Add coconut. Poke holes in the cake using the handle of a wooden spoon,
then pour over cake while hot.

Topping:
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. evaporated milk
1/2 c. butter
1 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 c. almonds

Mix sugar, butter, and milk. Bring to a boil,
add chocolate chips, stir until melted.
Add nuts 3/4 cup of nuts. Pour over cake.
Then sprinkle remaining nuts on top of the cake.


Warning...Small Pieces...Very Rich!







No comments:

Post a Comment

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.