July 8, 2011

The Life of a Crab!

July 9th...19.........Elizabeth Jane is born at Mercy Hospital in
 Vicksburg, Mississippi!
Thus began my undying love for Mississippi and The South!



As my father was a young practicing Anesthesiologist, my mother, being a transplanted Yankee, was enjoying becoming a southern socialite by partaking in The Garden Club, The Ladies Auxiliary, The Country Club, etc., so for the first three years of my life, I was under the loving care of Mary. Mary was employed by Mother and Daddy to help with running the household, cooking, and keeping me out of harms way and bringing up a baby in the way they should go. Mary referred to me as "her baby" and that was fine with  me. I adored her and was certainly attached to her apron strings. Of course, Mary had a family and children of her own. I remember going to Mary's house and seeing Miss Judy and her daughter, Gladys play together. All was perfect in my world. I had older siblings, a loving Mother and Father and my beloved Mary! Then, all of that changed when we moved to Jackson when I was the age of three! 

Cancers will certainly be merry if their home life is serene and harmonious. Traditions are upheld with great zest in a Cancer's household, since these folks prize family history and love communal activities.


Thus began my love for horses! Danny!

The very first item off the moving van was my red tricycle. Funny the things you remember. The neighborhood was new and homes were being built on the street where we lived. The year was 1955. What a different world it was. Children were safe playing outside all day and into the evening, you could ride your bicycle everywhere and the entire family sat down for dinner together every evening, saying grace before each meal.

A Cancer's good memory is the basis for stories told around the dinner table, and don't be surprised if these folks get emotional about things. Those born under this sign wear their heart on their sleeve, which is just fine by them.

We knew all of our neighbors well and attended the Presbyterian church across the street. (In high school, I became a member of Christ Lutheran Church, where our wedding vows took place.) I loved my childhood....we were fortunate enough to travel extensively and had memorable family vacations. We took trips to both grandparents homes in Ohio for summers and for holidays. I have much love for my grandparents and felt both of their homes were magical.


 I attended the University of Mississippi and would often pass Archie Manning on campus or in The Lyceum...almost fainting at the mere sight of him. 

Cancer, the fourth sign of the zodiac, is all about home. Those born under this sign are 'roots' kinds of people, and take great pleasure in the comforts of home and family. Cancers are maternal, domestic and love to nurture others. More than likely, their family will be large, too -- the more, the merrier!

Cancers are ruled by the Moon -- the Great Mother of the heavens in ancient times. Here on Earth, this is manifested in the Crab's maternal instincts and desire to protect home and hearth. This may appear smothering at times, but that's the Crab for you. The Moon is associated with fertility, too, a quality that is most pleasing to Cancers. The Moon is also the ruler of moods, and Cancers have plenty of those. 


Darling and I married in 1972. Did we plan on having four children? I think at one time, we laughed at the prospect of this, but decided perhaps two was a bit more practical. Then came Melissa Margaret in 1974, Gregory Garrard in 1978, Nicholas Patrick in 1979 (the boys are 15 months apart...oiy vey) and then Robert Faison in 1986.  

The great strength of the Cancer-born is the tenacity with which they protect their loved ones. (Yes, that would be me. Just ask my children....they know I am their strongest supporter and their fiercest protector and defender). Cancers don't ask for much, either: a comfortable home and sense of peace about sums it up. It's that nurturing instinct which makes Cancers a pleasure to be with.

Darling and Me

We have lived in Jackson and Gulfport, MS., Rantoul, IL., Virginia Beach, VA, St. Petersburg and Tampa, FL., Dothan, AL., Mansfield, TX., and now...Maine! Life has been good....we have worked hard, played hard (though not enough), and raised four loving and responsible children into their adulthood.


Our Babies

 It's said that Crabs are first to laugh and first to cry, so you can bet they'll fill you in. Crabs are tenacious and strong-willed and like to get their way. If their well-documented kindness and gentleness doesn't do the trick, however, they're not above using emotional manipulation to make things happen. If that still doesn't work, they'll just go back to their shell and sulk, or find a way to get back at the source of their pain, since Crabs can be rather vindictive. That said, any self-respecting Crab would tell you that they are ultimately motivated by protecting their home and loved ones, a most noble goal.

All In The Family!

To say that being transferred to New England and leaving children and grandchildren behind in Texas and Georgia has been challenging, is a gross understatement. Although we have grown to love Maine, it has not replaced our love and desire to move back to family. It is engrained in who we are, what matters most to us and what brings us the joy in our lives....perhaps being born under the sign of Cancer the Crab lends some validity to these feelings.

Crabs can cry you a river if they're so inclined, and they usually are. They can be overly sensitive, easily hurt and prone to brooding. Even so, Crabs find it easy to be sympathetic to others and are quick to show their affection. Their intuition is also a great help to them, especially in times of stress.

A Maine House Mosaic

In keeping with their nurturing bent, those born under this sign are a whiz with food.
A hearty picnic by the water is heaven-on-earth to most Crabs.



"Life may not be the party we hoped for,but
 while we're here we should dance!"

Happy Birthday!


1 comment:

  1. Wishing you a belated Happy Birthday... or am I just early for next years big day? Whatever, you nailed it girl on our traits! I was born on the 13th and I'm a Mother Hen too. Never tire of making my nest more comfortable for all! Great post...

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.