May 22, 2023

SUMMER BERRY SHORTCAKE WITH FRESH STRAWBERRY SAUCE

I have found a fabulous shortcake recipe for y'all to try!
Summer is THE season for strawberry shortcake and peach cobbler,
as we all know! It's the most requested dessert for all sorts
of summer cookouts and family gatherings....
this recipe comes from my friend Kathy over in Dothan, Alabama
which she shared on her You Tube channel, Kathy's Southern Kitchen!
Now, I changed her recipe up a bit from a simple strawberry dessert
to a shortcake of mixed berries...
strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries!
Divine, I tell you.....



This is a light, moist shortcake which bakes in 
a springform pan......



Simply dust with a sprinkling of powdered sugar for a beautiful presentation....



I made a fresh strawberry sauce by blending a pint of
fresh berries with 6 T. sugar....



Top warm cake with strawberry sauce.....



And then topped sweetened whipped cream....y'all are going to love it!

BERRY SHORTCAKE
2 cups of cake flour
 2 tsp of baking powder
 1/4 tsp of salt
 2 eggs room temperature
1 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
1/2 cup of heavy cream
1/2 cup of sour cream
1 tsp of vanilla extract
12 oz of chopped strawberries (used for sauce)
1 cup of mixed frozen berries, patted dry
 Powdered Sugar for garnish

 Grease a 9" nonstick springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.

In large mixing bowl mix eggs and sugar with an electric mixer on high speed for approximately 3 minutes.
 Add oil, sour cream, heavy cream and extract to the egg mixture.
Mix on low speed just until combined.

 In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture to wet ingredients 1/3 at a time.
 Mixing on low speed after each addition just until blended. Don't over mix.

Pour half of the batter into springform pan. Top with half of the chopped strawberries. Pour remaining batter over strawberries.
Top with remaining strawberries.

 Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 45 - 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow cake to cool before removing from pan.
Garnish with powdered sugar and whipped cream.

Let's make the most of this summer season!


5 comments:

  1. Darn it... I don't have a springform pan. You know, I don't think I ever did. That shortcake sounds divine. I am going to check out your friend kathys youtube. I have a YouTube channel but I haven't posted in awhile. Maybe I need to get back into it. I did enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful! We are eating lots of strawberries, with shortcake, and just fresh! Such a fun time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will make this for our 4th of July celebration. Looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This shortcake looks scrumptious, Betsy. I like the idea of having a different variety of berries and not just the strawberries. I love the pretty blue plate your served it on. There's just something about blue in the home that makes me smile. Oh, I think that whipped cream just might make the dessert! ; )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to have a springform pan - now I will go home and see if I still do!

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.