June 18, 2021

MOTHER'S VINEGAR PIE


 I can remember my Mother asking me if I had ever tasted a
Vinegar Pie? She said it was just delicious!!!
I had in fact, not ever had Vinegar Pie before and actually
couldn't wrap my mind around what that would taste like?
So, while going through some of her recipes the other day,
I came across her Vinegar Pie, and decided it was time
to give it a whirl......


I can understand why this was such a popular dessert in the
days of the depression and when Grandmother was preparing
dinner for her family....the ingredients are few, and simple.....
and it turned out to be just like Mother described...DELICIOUS!


I would described the taste as very similar to a Chess Pie,
which I have made quite often!


It was interesting to note, that while researching various recipes
for Vinegar Pie, the ingredients varied....
some used brown sugar, rather than white sugar, 
the butter and number of eggs varied.....
so below is Mother's recipe...which is the one I will always use.


Vinegar Pie
6 T. butter, melted and cooled
4 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups sugar (white)
1/2 t. salt
 T. apple cider vinegar
1 t. vanilla
Nutmeg


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Beat eggs with sugar. Add melted butter.
Then add salt, vinegar and vanilla....blend together.
Pour mixture into unbaked pie shell, sprinkle with nutmeg and
bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.


Let cool before slicing..
And there you have it.....VINEGAR PIE...
It is delightful!!!!
Y'all have a great weekend!



6 comments:

  1. I've never tried one before. Thanks for the recipe. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Betsy, this looks just delicious!! I love chess pie, always have, so I'm sure I would like this. In fact, I've already pinned it! :) Like you, I love to use my mom's recipes whenever possible. Thank you for sharing this, and I hope you have a great weekend.

    Hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recently, I learned about Water Pie now this! You have a fine weekend, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJune 19, 2021

    OMGOSH. I love your mini video! first the music. tropical and wonderful! and then Queen Mae.
    and then Mr and Mrs Pink Flamingo Floatees going down the pool to the fountain... and the refreshing sound of splashing and the sunlight sparkling on the water!
    your videos are always so Good for my SOUL.
    and the Vinegar Pie of your Mama's.
    my dad was born a Texan. and he married a beautiful little Yankee from upstate NY.
    he was stationed at Pine Camp before going oversees to fight the Nazis.
    and he and my mother fell in love.
    I remember Mother telling me once that his favorite pie was always Chess Pie.
    I'm wondering now if it wasn't Vinegar Pie! because he was just a boy during the depression.
    I'd like to think it was Vinegar Pie anyway. and that it brought back great memories to him.
    I'd never heard of Vinegar Pie until this post!
    his mother was a young Widow and raised 3 boys (ages 3 and 6 and 9) all by herself!
    there weren't the agencies and other such help available to people back then. people grew up self reliant.
    yup. I bet he Loved Vinegar Pie! maybe it brought back some wonderful memories to him. I hope so.
    this is a great post Betsy. thanks for the trip down memory lane. and yes. old recipes are the Best! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Tammy for sharing your story...this just made my day hearing about your family! This is just gulden! It may very well have been Vinegar Pie...the taste and consistency are very similar to a Chess Pie...what a wonderful and treasured memory this is for you! Have a blessed weekend!

      Delete
  5. Thank You for bringing back childhood memories. My dad used to make this for us and it was amazing. He also made us a tomato pie, which also was very good. I haven't been able to find the recipe for that one yet.

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.