November 1, 2020

NOVEMBER.....THE QUIET MONTH OF AUTUMN


Hello Kindred Spirits.......
I hope you are feeling balanced and feeling joyful
as we say good bye to October and usher in the month of November.
Truthfully, these past few months have been difficult....
nothing feels normal......the world seems so out of sync.....
so now it is ever so important to make our homes FEEL normal
and feel safe and offer comfort.
I always consider the month of November as the
"quiet month" as the whimsy of September and October
have left us....we slow down a bit....home decor becomes
more muted, the weather is turning slowing toward Winter
and we plan ahead for the holidays.....


 There are small ways I find to bring us peace of mind....
warm candlelight in the gloaming hours.....I love the
ambience it provides...


I try to find balance in rituals....
like the art of afternoon tea...
Today it was a seasonal Harney and Sons Plum Cider...
I love serving mulled wine at Thanksgiving..
it warms the hands and the heart...


A very enjoyable DIY is drying fruits for little arrangements...
In this little tart tin, I added a primitive apple scented candle
surrounded by dried lemons, limes and apples....
added a few cinnamon sticks, nutmeg and Allspice.
To dry fruit...slice your chosen fruit, place on a baking sheet
lined with parchment paper and bake for 3 hours at 200 degrees F. 


My decor becomes much more subtle....very
tone on tone colors of cream and amber....most
of the pumpkins, scarecrows and whimsical decorations
have now been packed away and I like the feel of less...
it clears my mind to savor the month up until Thanksgiving
and dedicate my thoughts toward Christmas.....


I have begun to just change the florals and leave most decor
pieces in place....less work and more enjoyment.


I almost forgot I had these beautiful glass
Currier and Ives luminary candles....
I have always loved this type of art ...my Grandmother Estelle loved this too!


Oh, and comfort food for the darling....
A homemade chicken soup is just a necessity during
cold and flu season...and now Covid....keep your immune
system going strong....


And...I made THE best quiche ever!!!


Spinach, mushrooms, red pepper, scallions,,,,and cheese....
3 cups of of cheese!!!
This was probably the best casual weeknight dinner we have
had in awhile....and it was perfect served with cinnamon apples!


Something very important to remember
is the role our pets play in our well being....
they provide unconditional love to us
and so love, love, love on your fur baby....
always by our side and keeping us calm and comforted.






5 comments:

  1. Your place is just so lovely today. The header is perfectly 🍂Novembery🍂 and cozy. Whatever you are doing, I like it. 🧡 My sister says she is ready to decorate for Christmas. I am not quite that ready, though shopping has commenced. It is a wonderful idea to have chicken noodle soup in the freezer. I tried to always have some last year and I think I will do that again, the times being what they are. Happy November!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Vee...so glad to hear from you and love having you visit today...thank you for such a kind comment....thoughts are definitely leaning toward Christmas...I believe stress is beginning to take it's hold on so many of us....stay well and safe...warm hugs from Texas!

      Delete
  2. I love your header!

    I also scale things back in November. One thing I've added is a lot of battery operated candles on timers. I love the ambiance they add! It also makes it easier to transition to Christmas closer to Thanksgiving or just after.

    I love to make comfort foods this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your home is so inviting, I am ready to come for a visit, ha ha. I like the colors on your blog, in the header photos and throughout, and those spots on your cat are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven’t tried Plum Cider! I haven’t even heard of it and I drink a lot of Harney and Sons tea. It sounds delicious and I bet it smells good, too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.