September 8, 2020

COZY FALL DINNER FOR TWO

I simply had to do a double take when I 
checked the forecast for the week......
and saw that we are actually cooling off
from that summer heat wave....
we will have a few evenings down in the 50's
with a high only around 62 degrees!
Now how wonderful is that....really something to look forward to!!

Yes, loves....Fall is in the air....
I even saw that our local annual Pumpkin Patch is
preparing their farm for the Autumn hayrides
and wagons full of pumpkins for the little ones....
I so hope it all works out as we NEED something
to be normal....something festive and fun.....

As I was opening the blinds this morning,
I spied our neighbors yard and almost squealed with delight
when I saw my first sign of Fall....leaves on the ground....
it's coming y'all.....change is on the way!

It's a good thing I am passionate about cooking
and baking, since I have been doing a heck of alot
of both since March....
if you are in need of a bit of inspiration
for a Fall-like dinner, then here are two
recipes the darling and I enjoy....
Golden Potato Soup and an Apple Bundt Cake!

Dinner for two......with enough for 
leftovers for lunch and a coffee break a few afternoons.....

GOLDEN POTATO SOUP

3 T. butter

1/2 cup chopped yellow onion

4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced

3 T. cornstarch

2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock

2 cups milk, warmed

4 small to medium size Yukon gold potatoes, diced

1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese-FOR TOPPING

5 slices bacon, diced-FOR TOPPING

Diced green onions-FOR TOPPING

Salt and Pepper to taste


Heat 3 T. butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat.   Add onion and garlic, sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft. Pour in the vegetable broth and continue to simmer. Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.

Dissolve the cornstarch in the 2 cups of milk and then add this to the soup mixture. Cover and allow to cook on low for about 30 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Season well with salt and pepper.

 Ladle into soup bowls and top with crisp crumbled bacon, chopped green onions and shredded cheddar cheese. 


You may also enjoy a dollop of Sour Cream on top......


Yes, Fall is THE season for Apple desserts....
this bundt cake is one of our family favorites.....
I normally use Granny Smith apples for this recipe,
but used Gala apples as this is what I had on hand...still oh so good!





APPLE BUNDT CAKE
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 t. pure vanilla
3 large eggs
3 cups flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1 t salt
3 medium apples, cored and chopped (I do not peel my apples)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine the sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs.
Beat well with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
Stir into the batter until blended.
Fold the apples gently into the batter by hand.
Pour into a well greased bundt pan.
Bake for 60-70 minutes.
Allow to cool before inverting on to a serving platter.


Domestic Bliss......
it's necessary for the soul......










 



8 comments:

  1. Your dinner for two looks like a royal feast. Oh that soup and cake. I think a slice of that cake warm with a cup of coffee would be a fine breakfast too. :) I want to tell you that I love the autumn header photos, so peaceful. Blessings, enjoy this weather. xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore potato soup! That recipe looks wonderful, and your apple cake! Delightful! I made Banana Nut muffins yesterday and they are so good!

    Glad you're cooling down after your hot summer! Fall is truly on its way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your recipes sound delicious and I am copying them over. I have not had sugar in almost 2 weeks now and feel so much better. It is really an addiction for me. Luckily, I am one of those people that can bake and not be tempted to 'try it'...and have never been a 'taste the batter' type of gal. I will try this cake for our next camping adventure and share with friends. John loves soup and I will try this recipe, too.
    We have a high of mid-50s here today. I love fall but would like 50s at night and 70ish during the day-good luck to ME! lol xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh those temps are very encouraging. I know that you'll enjoy cooler days and cooler nights. The recipes sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are heading into fall. It's still blazing hot here in Florida. Your two recipes look divine! I'll be grabbing that soup recipe as soon as some cool weather rolls around for us. Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made some chicken broth today and was wondering what kind of soup I should make and there is your recipe! Perfect for my husband and I. I'm so happy for the cool temps for you! Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just thinking this morning that I needed a dose of Estelle's. Ha! Ya know, I think one of the best things of all about fall is the soup. Never met one I didn't like. Your entire meal looks delicious...and beautiful to boot! Fall Blessings to YOU!

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.