April 11, 2019

TAMALE PIE


This is one of those family favorite recipes
that is quick, easy and delicious
when you are needing a hot supper on Saturday or Sunday.
Weekends can be chocked full of errands, cleaning, shopping
and driving children to sports activities.
This Tamale Pie hits the spot when you need to gather around
the table for family time!



TAMALE PIE
Cooking spray
1 box corn muffin mix 
1 large egg
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 c. canned creamed corn
1 T. extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 t. ground cumin
1 t. chili powder
 salt to taste
Coarsely ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. ground beef
1/3 cup red enchilada sauce or salsa
1 cup shredded cheddar
1 cup shredded Monterey jack


Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a large oven-safe skillet with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together corn muffin mix, egg, sour cream, and creamed corn. Transfer to prepared skillet and bake until golden, 20 minutes. Let cool.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, cumin, and chili powder and season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft, 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Add ground beef and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Drain fat.
Poke entire surface of cornbread with a fork and pour over enchilada sauce. Add beef and top with cheeses. Bake until cheese is melty, about 20 minutes. Serve with a fresh salad!

8 comments:

  1. Oh Betsy, this looks sooo good!! It reminds me of a recipe my mother-in-law prepares, but her cornbread is on the top. :D I'll be pinning this for sure -- thanks so much for sharing! I hope you're enjoying a lovely spring where you are.

    Have a great day!

    Hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Denise...it is a really good recipe...hope you try this and love it! I must hop over and see what fun things you have been up to...big hugs from Texas!

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy the recipe! Thank you for stopping by today!

      Delete
  3. That sounds delicious. I love Mexican food. I like authentic Mexican food, but was willing to settle for a crunch wrap at Taco Bell today for lunch. Alas, they are no longer there.

    I found the way to be able to comment at my friends’ blogs. Safari was the problem. Now I am using Firefox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very good little recipe Vee...in Texas we have the real deal..authentic Mexican, as well as, TexMex....couldn't do without it!We missed this so much when we lived in Maine...glad you solved the problem and it's good to see you back...wishing you a great weekend!

      Delete
  4. I am bookmarking this....it sounds just like something my family would love. The next home fellowship gathering where Mexican is on the menu, I will make this casserole and they will all love me forever...Many thanks, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhh. I needed this recipe for tomorrow when the big bad storms roll in. Will be perfect on Sunday for the two of us.
    Stay safe tomorrow.:.

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.