December 8, 2018

HOTEL PEABODY VANILLA MUFFINS



This is the recipe published in 
BELL'S BEST cookbook
from the Mississippi Chapter No. 36, 1981.
It is one of my all-time favorite cookbooks.
The darling and I spent alot of time in Memphis over the years
and we love, love, love the famous Peabody Hotel.


In 1869, the original Peabody Hotel opened on the corner of Main & Monroe and immediately became the social and business hub of Memphis.
 In 1925 a newer, grander Peabody was built at its present location 
at Union and 2nd Street continuing the legacy of the 
"South's Grand Hotel."


 It was 1933 when ducks were originally placed 
in the hotel's lobby fountain, setting in motion an 80-year tradition
 that continues today with the March of the Peabody Ducks.


HOTEL PEABODY VANILLA MUFFINS
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 t. baking powder
6 T. sugar
1Cup milk
4 T. butter, melted
1 beaten egg , beaten
1 t. vanilla


Combine dry ingredients. Mix  liquids and add to dry ingredients.
Stir, but gently, do not beat.
Bake in muffin tin at 400 degrees F. for 25 minutes.
You may fold in one cup of fresh berries before baking if desired.
I sprinkle the tops with sugar before baking.

4 comments:

  1. What a history and with fun traditions. I have questions about those ducks, but decorum prevents me from asking. Have never heard of vanilla muffins, though how can they be bad? I think I might bake some jam into the centers, if I had no berries, to spruce them up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the recipe! I did a screen shot so I can bake some this next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a long time ago I was privileged to watch the ducks march into the Peabody. they marched in a line like that.
    as if they had been trained! they were amazing! I have always loved ducks. thanks for this wonderful post! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those muffins sound really lovely. They'd be just right for afternoon tea!

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.