November 16, 2018

PINEAPPLE PIE, THANKSGIVING DINING ROOM AND AUTUMN BEAUTY IN GEORGIA



Well Loves.....Thanksgiving is upon us....rather quickly too!
I just blinked and November is just racing past me.
The California family will arrive next week and we have
two Thanksgiving gatherings planned.





We will all travel down on Thanksgiving Day to spend the day
with son #2 and family, then have a second Thanksgiving on Saturday
to give our youngest a special dinner and family gathering.
They work those guys on every holiday until late into the evening.
I remember and so wish for the time when FAMILY was the important
thing and businesses were closed up tight for the holidays!


Anyhoo.......I thought I would share a family recipe
from Grandmother Grace that was always included at our
holiday celebrations.
She was one of the most giving and thoughtful ladies in the world.
I couldn't begin to count how many of these pies she must have made
and always, always had one ready for my darling and I when we went home
to Jackson.


It really does make a beautiful addition to your
Thanksgiving buffet.


PINEAPPLE PIE
1 9-inch unbaked pie shell
4 eggs (separate one)
1 stick of butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 T. flour
1 small can of crushed pineapple, drained well

Prepare the pie shell and brush with slightly beaten egg white. Set aside.
Cream the butter and sugar well; add eggs, one at a time and
beat well after each addition. Stir in the flour.
Add drained pineapple and mix well.
Pour this mixture into unbaked pie shell and bake at 350 degrees F.
for 45-60 minutes.
Shake pan every few minutes during the last several minutes
of baking time. The center should seem firm but still slightly move.
Remove from oven and allow to set on counter top  for pie to continue to set.


I will leave you with the beautiful shades of Autumn
found over in Georgia at the home of Miss M....
God certainly blesses us during this season doesn't he?





I wish each of you a beautiful and peaceful Thanksgiving Day.
I will be spending time with the family and will return
to begin the Christmas Holidays.

8 comments:

  1. I love autumn for all the color it brings. But winter is upon us here in the northeastern U.S. Fall isn't nearly long enough. I have never heard of making a pineapple pie. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn came late here this year and quickly left us, but it was glorious while it lasted!

    Enjoy your family gatherings, Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Thanksgiving post. I love old recipes with simple ingredients.
    I'm with you about the holidays, Sundays, too . . . back when things were closed, people prepared a day earlier than they do today and each family member could be sitting at the table or attending church together. It's not that hard to shop Saturday for anything you might need. Families need this time together. I realize hospitals and such can't close, but today everything is open . . . shame on them :) I wonder if some huge store would take a stand, if other's would follow?

    ReplyDelete
  4. bless you dear Betsy! happy Thanksgiving. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pineapple pie? I never even knew that there was such a thing! Your grandmother looks like such a sweet lady as all grandmas do, I suppose. Happy preparing and pleasant times with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Betsy!!!! I love that pic of your grandmother ever so much...kinda just gave me chills imagining her sitting at that table after a long day of cooking. Just love true old images!!!
    And girl....we MUST meet up one day. I'm always amazed at the things we have in common. 5 minutes before I read your post, I was digging in my recipe file for my pineapple casserole!!! Serendipity at its finest! It's a staple on every holiday table and my kids would die if it wasn't there. Almost just like your recipe, only I make a casserole out of it topped with cheese. When the boys were small, I'd put a pineapple ring on their plates with a dollop of mayo and topped with grated cheese -- they thought that was so fancy!! They only got one because one can was all I could slip into the budget and that one can had to feed the whole family.....on my....such good times those were!!!
    I've been cooking since 9am trying to do most of the prep and get some casseroles frozen and out of the way.
    Oh.....and about 10 doz chocolate chip cookies because my 5 yr old grandson told his kindergarten classmates that what he was most thankful for was his YaYa's chocolate chip cookies!!! hahahahahah....you be he will have all he wants!!
    Have a glorious Thanksgiving day and be sure to get plenty of hugs from those boys of yours!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Travel safe and enjoy your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGOSH- I have never even heard of pineapple pie. Those old family recipes that get passed down are just the best, aren't they? I am so glad you have that memory tied to your grandmother!

    I miss the days when NOTHING was open on the Holidays...it was a different time in life! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.