November 12, 2012

Corn Pudding.....A Secret Ingredient

The Holiday Season


Have you ever been to a church pot luck dinner and someone just happens to bring one of their favorite family casseroles which are so scrumptious, everyone asks for the recipe? This Corn Casserole recipe was the winning side dish of many, many pot luck dinners we had at our church when the children were young. Everyone, I mean everyone, requested that Miss Vicki bring this casserole when the menu list was being passed around. She normally made two of these, because there was never any left over. We could never put our finger on her "secret ingredient", until one day, she whispered to me just what that ingredient was......now I am sharing it with you.......are you ready? SHHHHHH.....sweetened condensed milk! Need I say more?


Thanksgiving Corn Pudding
1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel sweet corn, drained
6 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 1/2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9"  X 13" baking pan with  vegetable spray; set aside.Stir sugar, flour and nutmeg together in a medium bowl with a wire whisk. Add eggs, beat well. Beat in milk and vanilla, blending well. Stir in corn and pour into prepared pan. Drizzle butter evenly over the top. Bake for about 1 hour until the pudding is set. The center of the pudding should shake a tiny bit in the middle.


7 comments:

  1. Corn pudding must be a regional dish. I have never heard of it. Do you eat it in place of a vegetable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my yes, you must try a corn pudding. This is a vegetable side dish and can be found on everyone's table in the South. Corn puddings are often served for holiday meals. They can be sweet or savory and are absolutely delicious! I have previous posts on corn puddings and I do hope you give one a try!

      Delete
    2. this is not really a vegetable... Corn is a vegetable but should be thought of as a Carb like a bread. This is what we do to make sure that we not only eat a lot at thanksgiving... but sneak in extra sugar too!

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, maybe it just sounds strange because I grew up on the west coast and never have had it. I will search your previous recipes and see what I can find on corn pudding, my husband has never heard of it either. He is a bit hesitate to try it but....you just never know. Could become a big favorite at our home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can assure you that if you think you like cream style corn, you will LOVE corn pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have corn pudding at every thanksgiving and christmas dinner. My grandma grew up in DC, but her mom was from GA so maybe it is a southern dish???

    ReplyDelete
  5. my grandkids ask for corn pudding all the time. this is one of their favorite dishes.

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.