July 7, 2015

SOUTHERN STYLE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE


At some point this summer,
you know you will be serving
Strawberry Shortcake!
This is Mother's recipe
for THE most delightful
summer dessert ever!
True to her Mississippi Style!


Southern Style Strawberry Shortcake

The Strawberry Sauce
4 cups frozen whole strawberries, thawed
 3 T. lemon juice
 1 t. vanilla
2 ounces powdered sugar

The Sponge Cake
7 egg whites
 7 egg yolks
 1 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
 1/3 cup whole milk, heated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup cake flour
Whipped cream


 The Strawberry Sauce
 Slice about 1/3 of strawberries into halves and set aside. Using a blender, puree about 1/3 of the strawberries and set aside. Leave 1/3 of strawberries whole. Place sliced and whole strawberries in a medium sized bowl, then gently stir in lemon juice, vanilla extract and sugar. Next pour in pureed strawberries and mix well. Refrigerate strawberries for a couple of hours; overnight works best.  

The Sponge Cake
 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9” x 5” x 3” loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside. In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, about 2 minutes and set aside.

In a separate medium mixing bowl, beat egg yolks well for about 2 minutes. Add sugar to yolks and stir well until mixture is lemon colored. Pour milk, vanilla flavoring and lemon juice into a measuring cup and heat until hot in microwave; heat to hot not until boiling. Add to egg yolk mixture and beat well.

 Next stir in cake flour; blending well. Finally stir in egg whites and also blend well. Pour sponge cake mixture into greased loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees F. for about 40 minutes.


When ready to serve, cut a piece of short cake and top with strawberry sauce and whipped cream.  Delightful!

8 comments:

  1. Now that recipe takes things a cut above a standard biscuit style Strawberry Shortcake. Yummo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps a tad more effort....but the results are well worth it...hope you try this Vee! Big hugs!!!

      Delete
  2. AnonymousJuly 07, 2015

    Wow! Looks and sounds so good! I love anything strawberry! :) Can I come over? :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I would love to have you visit Shelia....have a wonderful week dear one!

      Delete
  3. Oh.My.Gawd. It's a good thing I live 3 hrs away from you because I would so be coming to visit AND asking you to make that shortcake for me!!!! It looks like it would melt in my mouth.........man, oh man.....I really want some!!! But after the 4th holiday and a houseful of my babies and their babies....my kitchen is closed for a good long while!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that feeling jmac....someimes we need a rest from all of that entertaining....maybe they can cook for you soon..have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  4. As always, thank you for the recipe!!! Might I tell you something??? Do you know who you remind me of?
    Ina Garten - aka Barefoot Contessa!! Both in looks and in recipes!
    And like jmac - I would so love to visit and eat some of that shortcake with you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I would love that Linda! I am certain we would laugh and talk until the wee hours.....!!! Ina Garten...really? Well I am probably her biggest fan so I take this as a huge compliment! Hope you have a fabulous week! Big hugs!!

      Delete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.