May 18, 2015

MEXICAN POT PIE and LUNCH AT ROSA'S!


One of the things we missed most while living in Maine, 
was some good ole' Texas Tex-Mex food!

The funny thing is,
if you don't live in Texas,
you are sometimes not familiar with
good Mexican food.
Texas offers authentic Mexican items
such as La Hacienda Ranch down in the
Fort Worth Stockyards
or
you can dine on some mouth-watering
Tex-Mex!


Our dear blogging friend and fellow Texas gal,
 BJ at 
sweetnothingsbj.blogspot.com, 
noted in a recent post about celebrating Cinco De Mayo at Rosa's Cafe. 
It was yet another favorite thing in Texas that we share.
The darling and I are fortunate enough to have a Rosa's right down the road from us and
I could not resist snapping a few pictures at 
lunch last summer of their vibrant colorful vibe!


If you like Mexican Pottery, then you would love dining at Rosa's.


I think I am going to look for a pottery piece at Trade Days next month! 


Thanks for lunch Mr. Wonderful......
He's my Cutie Patootie! 


They make the most divine tortilla's you ever tasted!
and..
don't forget to try their chocolate cake....
it's amazing!


"Put down your I-phone and step away from the camera!"
It's time to EAT!



There is nothing better than
Tex-Mex
on a Friday night!


Mexican Pot Pie
 1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 cup cold water
3 cups boiling water
2 jalapeƱo peppers, chopped
1 medium onion chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups of fresh chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons each, cumin and oregano
1 cup cooked pinto beans
1 package of frozen corn, defrosted
1 pound ground chuck, cooked


Make a cornmeal mush by combining cornmeal, salt and cold water. Whisk the boiling water into the mush and cook 25 minutes over a double boiler, whisking occasionally.

Saute' together the jalapeno peppers, onion, bell pepper and garlic in the vegetable oil until soft.

Add the tomatoes, chili powder, cumin and oregano.

In a greased 9-inch round baking dish, spread half of the cornmeal mixture. Layer the pinto beans, corn, and ground chuck.

Cover with tomato filling mixture. Spread remaining cornmeal mixture on top. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30-40 minutes.








4 comments:

  1. You have that right! Authentic Mexican restaurants are pretty much non-existent. I do miss great Mexican food and, since my darling is not a fan, it's a rare day when I get some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago, BJ posted about Rosa's Cafe and I couldn't wait to eat there. We lived in Oklahoma at the time but always knew we'd move back to Texas sooner or later. Now we eat at Rosa's about 2x per month on Taco Tuesday.

    I am definitely going to try your recipe. When you start with corn meal it has to be good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny Stacey! Sounds like we are meeting many Texans who favor Rosa's! Hope you love the recipe...enjoy!!

      Delete
  3. ooooooooooooooo.....I love me up some Tex-Mex!! We prolly eat it around here once a week. We love Superior Grill here in our lil town but I've had some oh so yummy at Gloria's over there in dallas!! I remember being in awe first time I had "real" Mexican food in Mexico.......awe in a not so good way!!! Give me my Texas Mexican any day!

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.