December 7, 2014

THE ULTIMATE CORN CHOWDER


I would take it that everyone is busy decorating and pulling bins down from the attic to unwrap their treasured Christmas heirloom ornaments. I know our weekend has been busy with shopping and searching for a new tree. That proved to be rather "last minute!" Our tree that we have only had for four years, was a bit forlorn looking. You know the "joys of decorating" you read about, between husband and wife? Well, I guess you could say the darling and I had one of those moments. When he dragged in that big, heavy nine foot tree, set it up and plugged it in......only about one-fourth of the lights were working! I had a brief moment of what we shall refer to as "Joan Crawford in the rose garden!"

Needless to say, we have a new tree!


We are making progress. Son #3 was home this weekend, from Austin, to meet up with college friends. They spent the evening in Dallas joining up to eat Sushi and catch a comedy show! He was able to help us out by bringing all of the ornament bins downstairs! Now, I can spend the coming week decorating the new tree! 


The first hung ornament of the Christmas season 2014! 

Often times, in winter, on those rather cold, gray  and still days, 
Mother would prepare a favorite corn potato chowder! 
It's a very heartwarming lunch or dinner! 




The Ultimate Corn Chowder
1 stick unsalted Butter
1/2 cup flour
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup half and half
2 carrots small dice
2 stalks celery small dice
1/2 medium onion dice
2 potatoes unpeeled,  diced
1 lb frozen sweet corn
Salt and Pepper to taste



In a  sauce pan add your butter and allow to melt.
Add all of the diced vegetables and allow to sautee for about 5-7 minutes.
Add in the flour and mix well, turn down the heat and allow to simmer for 5-7 minutes to let the flour cook.  This is your roux with the vegetables. 
Stir in the hot chicken stock and mix well to get all of the roux incorporated.
Now you are ready to add the milk and corn, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 30-45 minutes. Top with shredded cheddar cheese, bacon bits and hot cornbread. 







6 comments:

  1. I am on my way to Austin next weekend. Can't wait for some warm temps. Today is was bone-chilling cold! Wish I had some of of your chow-dah!! Have a wonderful week, Estelle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes.....welcome back! I know you will love being home to Texas! Hope you get some good weather...warmer than New England for certain! Travel safe!!! Hugs dear Katie!!

      Delete
  2. Yummy, You are just the most inspiring blog that I read that actually makes me hungry and also want to cook something special! Your blog is filled with such hospitality and warmth! I loved visiting today and I just want to say...
    MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    Love, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Roxy...I am so grateful for you and your friendship! I wish you also, a beautiful and happy holiday season! Sending love and hugs across the miles! I so enjoy visiting your home through your blog!

      Delete
  3. Corn chowder sounds so good on a cold Dec day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a really good one Linda! And....rather simplistic to prepare! Please enjoy and thank you for visiting Estelle's today! Have a wonderful week ahead!

      Delete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.