March 14, 2014

BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND KALE LASAGNA...A BEAUTIFUL YOU

 
Entertaining the healthy way.....making a beautiful you!
 

I believe we entertained more family and friends while living in Maine than we had for a few years.
It was all good.....all festive and new......wonderful to put on the ritz! Suddenly we became very popular, the darling and I. Long lost relatives, friends from the past, coworkers both old and new, and the best of all...family! We threw open the doors and became Mainers! We had "the tour" down pat, memorized from day to day sight seeing. We knew the best places to eat and experience local cuisine. We toured New England every weekend. We became regulars at DiMillo's. We became friendly with the owner and the bartenders knew our order as soon as we found a place at the bar. You want to be a grand host and show everyone a good time.......good food and a festive atmosphere. Now things have settled a bit. We entertain family and most of the time...just the two of us.


 
 Thanks to the Divine Miss M, I am embracing a somewhat healthier manner of cooking. She made Kale chips for us a short time ago. I liked them....Luke devoured them....and then there was the darling. He described it as "eating burned newspaper clippings!" Oy vey!


 


I am beginning to entertain with a lighter fare. Assorted cheeses, flavored ice teas (perhaps spiked a little) and fruits and veggies, rather than creamy dips. You suddenly realize you look better and you feel better.  There is a balance in everything......this by no means I will ever stop baking southern pound cakes or my famous buffalo chicken dip, but.......for the most part.....I am adamant on sneaking more veggies into the darling's life! Why not forgo the steak and baked potato on Saturday night and opt for this beautiful lasagna instead! This is dinner for two, maybe four with smaller servings. I love, love, love this recipe!!!! You may even learn to love Kale...I certainly did!
 
 

 
 
 
Butternut Squash and Kale Lasagna
1 small butternut squash, medium dice
2 cups kale
1 small yellow onion, diced
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 (15-ounce) container whole milk ricotta
1 egg
1/2 tablespoon chopped thyme
1 package whole wheat lasagna noodles, cooked according to package directions
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella

 
Preheat oven to 400 F.

Combine squash, kale and onion in a roasting pan. Toss with olive oil to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Roast 10 – 15 minutes or until squash is tender.

In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, egg and thyme. Set aside.

Brush the loaf pan with olive oil. Layer lasagna noodles, ricotta, squash mixture and mozzarella. Repeat 4 times, topping final lasagna noodle with mozzarella. Bake 10 – 15 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly.

I am joining Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm....see this link for even more delicious recipes!

 

7 comments:

  1. This sounds like a delicious dish! Thank you Estelle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going lighter too and this lasagne will be added to my files. Funny, I was going to do a butternut gnocchi instead of potato; maybe when I get back from the west coast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! The butternut gnocchi sounds intriguing.....would love that one!

      Delete
  3. Good Evening! I copied this to my favorites! I love, love butternut squash! And I agree we are also trying to eat a bit lighter!
    Of course I am not counting the three Oreo cookies I ate earlier.
    Yours, because I like it here....Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Roxy...anything is delish with butternut squash....hope you enjoy the recipe! Love to have you visit! Thank you love!

      Delete
  4. I am very taken with the home pictured above the sea. The simple lines of the design are intriguing. I am planning to build a waterfront home in the near future and looking at all designs possible. Any chance you could post more pictures of your home? And, yes, I am a squash-o-phile too. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynne! The first picture was of unknown source off pinterest. The second picture was taken when we lived in Maine. I have many of my personal pictures of Maine and New England on my blog. This was an inland off of Bailey's island. So beautiful, like many areas of Maine are. I appreciate your sweet comment and stopping by today.

      Delete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.