August 27, 2013

SWEET POTATO CREAM CHEESE MUFFINS.....A COMPLIMENT TO AUTUMN

Are you ready for brisk walks with your furry friends
in the cool, invigorating air?
I believe, most of us are ready to welcome the
Autumn season as our thoughts turn to
 sprucing up our homes and filling
our kitchens with the scents of
cloves, cinnamon and allspice.
 
 
 
There is no denying Autumn is my favorite season of the year. I may be a few steps ahead of myself, but I have been pouring over decorating books and cookbooks to set aside recipes I would like to try and DIY projects to attempt. I ran across a recipe for Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins that sounded scrumptious. Normally, the day before Thanksgiving, I prepare Pumpkin bread, so decided hmmmm, maybe I will switch up the menu a little bit and see how this myffin recipe turns out! So off the kitchen I went!
 
 
 
As I began the baking process, I went into the pantry to retrieve a can of Pumpkin, when to my horror, discovered I did not have any cans of Pumpkin!! It was at the Divine Miss M's house, when I was helping her organize her pantry, that I found about six cans of Pumpkin!! What's a girl to do?
So this recipe I am sharing today happened quite by accident, as you will note. I substituted a can of sweet potato casserole (Old Glory) for the pumpkin and oh-my-word! We have a winner!!!
 
 
 
Sweet Potato Cream Cheese Muffins
 
 


 CREAM CHEESE FILLING
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
 




THE MUFFINS
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cloves
1  1 tsp allspice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
4 large eggs
2 cups sugar
 1 can Sweet Potato Casserole (15-16 ounces)
-or use Pumpkin Puree'
1 cup vegetable oil
1 /4 cup cinnamon applesauce


Combine the cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar in a medium bowl and mix well until blended and smooth. Set aside until you are ready to assemble the muffin batter.



For the muffins, preheat your oven to 350˚ F and spray your muffin pans.
 
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, salt and baking soda then whisk to blend.
 

In a large bowl using an electric mixer on medium-low speed combine the eggs, sugar, sweet potato puree, applesauce  and oil until blended. Turn the mixer to low and add in the dry ingredients, mix just until incorporated.

Fill each muffin pan with a good 3-5  tablespoons Put a dollop of the cream cheese mixture into each muffin well, then top each with the remaining batter, covering the cream cheese completely.
Bake for 20-25 minute. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely before serving. So screamin' good I tell you, that you could open your own bakery!
 
Shhh.....here's your secret ingredient

No comments:

Post a Comment

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.