June 10, 2013

ESTELLE'S HOUSE SALAD...SHOPPING THE SQUARE


What a fantastic summer weekend...grilling out, swimming, shopping the square in our historic district and discovering a new local dining establishment that quickly became a favorite! Our little town here in Tejas has a charming historic district that begs to be explored in detail! Large old Victorians, a local farmers market, boutiques and antique shops filled with goodies and treasures! I did not have my camera with me, when we decided to take a stroll through the district, but I did snap a few I-phone photos when cuteness caught my eye!

Now how adorable is this chic gal! 
 
Can't wait to go explore this boutique!
 
Puppy love...a girl after my own heart!

Oh yes.....jewels in this magnificent historic building!

I would love to try to make these tiles!

 This was obviously a hot spot on the square! Fabulous food, wine,
imported beers and will definitely return to try their desserts referred to as
"The Last Hurrah's!"


I had the most glorious fresh tasting salad at our new dining discovery.
 I decided to add one of our favorite salads to our Father's Day Menu.
I have served it often when entertaining and everyone asks for the recipe!

 
ESTELLE'S HOUSE SALAD
8 ounces thick-cut bacon
8 ounces baby arugula
1 large granny smith apple, peeled and shredded
1/2 cup toasted walnut halves, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries
8 ounces blue cheese, such as Roquefort, crumbled
 
 The Dressing
1 t. grated orange zest
2 T. freshly squeezed orange juice
1 T. fresh lemon juice
2 1/2 t. Dijon mustard
2 T. maple syrup
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper
2/3 cup olive oil
 
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Place a baking rack on a sheet pan and lay the bacon slices on the rack. Roast the bacon for about 20 minutes, until nicely browned. Allow to cool.

In a large bowl, toss together the arugula, apple, walnuts, cranberries, and blue cheese.

For the dressing, whisk together the vinegar, orange zest, orange juice, mustard, maple syrup, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper in a bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil.
Chop the bacon in large pieces and add it to the salad. Toss the salad with just enough dressing to moisten. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, toss and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.