February 7, 2013

GERMAN CREAM CHEESE BROWNIES...HOW DO I LOVE THEE?

Love Me.........Love My Cat
 
 
I grew up with cats. My mother grew up with cats. I think throughout my life, I have never been without these sweet creatures. Cats are a part of my soul. Now, Darling, on the other hand, never owned a cat! WHAT???? Seriously...his mother could not stand cats! I never thought that was normal. How could one feel dislike toward petting a kitty or having them curl up at the end of your bed? Well, little did he know that was all going to change when he met me. Even though he would not say it...he quickly fell in love with our Mufti...our long-haired calico who lived to be seventeen. When we married, we drove over to New Orleans and adopted two Persian kittens, Elsa and Frank (Frances), both females, from our long time friend, Miss Dorothy. Frank and Elsa went with us everywhere...they were our babies. Those little darlings made all of our various moves with us and lived to be eighteen and nineteen years old. We have been fortunate that all of our kitties have lived long lives....Annie, Boots, Boone and now Miss Mae. We have never been without a cat. Love me....love my cat! Happy Valentine's Day........
 
What do you make your special love for Valentine's Day?
Well, it should be something chocolate....I mean, what else could be more decadent and whisper, "I Love You", like chocolate?
 
 

GERMAN CREAM CHEESE BROWNIES
1 (4 ounce) packages German's sweet chocolate
5 T. butter
1 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup unsifted flour, plus
1 T. unsifted flour
1 1/2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/4 t. almond extract

Melt chocolate and 3 T. butter over very low heat, stirring constantly. Cool.
Cream remaining butter with the cream cheese until softened. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, creaming until light and fluffy. Stir in one egg, 1 tablespoon flour, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until blended. Set aside.
Beat remaining eggs until fluffy and light in color.
Gradually add remaining 3/4 cup sugar, beating until thickened.
Fold in baking powder, salt, and remaining 1/2 cup flour.
Blend in cooled chocolate mixture. Stir in nuts, almond extract, and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla. Measure 1 cup chocolate batter and set aside.
Spread remaining chocolate batter in a greased 8 or 9 inch square pan.
Pour cheese mixture over the top. Drop measured chocolate from tablespoon onto the cheese mixture; swirl the mixtures together with a spatula just to marble.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool. Cut into bars or squares.
Cover and store in refrigerator.

4 comments:

  1. I have always loved cats,there was a cat in my home before I was born,he was my protector when I was little. Now I share my life with thirteen. They are the most beautiful creatures, aren't they?!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they are amazing and beautiful little creatures....my sister has five...I almost feel sorry for people who have never experiences the love for a cat....many blessings Jane and Chris!

      Delete
  2. You could have been writing our story. When we met, I had a red Persian and Gary had never lived with a cat. His mother thought they should only be in barns. Charity lived to be 19 and by then he was hooked for sure. We always rescued cats from then on. We now have five and he loves them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that interesting Deb.....can you even imagine life without our cats? Some we chose and the others chose us...it's a wonderful life with cats!!! Ya'll stay warm!

      Delete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.