February 14, 2013

BURNING LOVE CHOCOLATE CAKE...LOVE THE ONE YOUR WITH

     

    I have had a long standing love affair with chocolate ...and the muted shades of brown....deep autumn hues of browns, mixed with soft grays. These colors feel cozy to me and feeling cozy during winter is a good thing! The color gives way to thoughts representing espresso, roasting chestnuts, and cinnamon toast! How about a rich chocolate brown pair of cords paired with your favorite pair of dark chestnut equestrian boots!

    There is no escaping the fact that Winter is going to hang around a few more months.  It is an undeniable fact and I feel it most when my feet hit the cold floor in the morning, or when there is a bitter cold wind when I walk outside in the evening.  I could easily hibernate indoors and not come out until Spring.  What are your favorite spots to cozy on up with your Valentine?
     
     
     
    I suppose one could say my decorating leans toward the feminine side. I do like to have a masculine room for the valentine in my life, such as his library/office or his upstairs man cave. I think, however, even if I lived alone, I would create a masculine room, inspired by a Ralph Lauren look. Do you decorate with lovely shades of brown? Does it make you feel better to bring a feeling of the outdoors inside while you "nest" during those long winter days?
     
     
     
    Brown is deliciously rich and inviting.....
     
     
     
     
    Yes, I am in love with these shades of brown.
    It creates a relaxing retreat....
     
     
    Happy Valentines Day.....Love with all of your heart!
     

     BURNING LOVE CHOCOLATE CREAM CAKE

adapted from the Elvis Fans Cookbook II of Tennessee
 
2 1/4 cups sifted flour
3 squares of unsweetened chocolate
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, softened
2 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup sour cream
1 cup boiling water
 
Whipped Cocoa Cream
2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

1 pint heavy cream
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Melt chocolate in a small bowl over hot (hot boiling) water and cool. Grease and dust a layer of cocoa in two 9x11/2-inch pans. Tap out excess cocoa. Sift flour, baking soda and salt onto waxed paper.
 
Preheat oven to 350°. Beat butter, sugar and eggs in a large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and cooled chocolate.

Stir in dry ingredients, alternating with sour cream and beating well with a spoon until smooth. Stir in water (Batter will be thin). Pour into pans. Bake for 35 minutes or until centers spring back when lightly pressed with fingertips. Cool in pans 10 minutes, then turn on wire racks and cool completely.
Split each layer in half crosswise to make 4 thin layers.
Fill and frost with Whipped Cocoa Cream. Refrigerate.
 
To make Whipped Cocoa Cream combine listed ingredients in a chilled medium size bowl.
Whip ingredients in chilled medium bowlwith chilled beaters until stiff.
You can quickly chill the empty bowl and beaters by putting them in the freezer for 15 minutes or so while the cake is cooling.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your visit! I am following you :). What a fabulous blog you have! Your photos are wonderful and the chocolate cake looks divine!! xo.
    You live in Texas, too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Kitty! I simply love making new friends in the blogging world!

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a most delicious chocolate cake. Also love brown and wear a lot of it but I don't decorate with it much. It's beautiful!
    I think browns will be the next color I will try. Yours looks so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mona! It always helps to see colors used in homes doesn't it? I think we change as we grow and sometimes our tastes change! Yes, this cake is soooo good! No one can hold a candle to your beautiful garden and porch...so inviting!

      Delete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.