November 28, 2012

Chicken Pie....A Sense of Place



"Our family is lucky. People speak and write about "sense of place", but ours is visible. tangible. It is the house and the house still stands. In a hundred and fifty years it has survived the Civil War, carpetbaggers, boll weevils and the Great Depression. For a while at least, it is safe even from the sucking cusps on that blindly groping tentacle of progress, the powerful sprawl known as Atlanta. The holdings around it have shrunk, divided the legacy and gift until the map of the land has become a jig-saw puzzle, it's dividing lines known only to intimates. All of the pieces are still in the family however, and all of the pieces dovetail and fit. So do the members of the family; my sisters, nieces and nephews and my children."

"In the middle of the puzzle sits the house. Serene and secure, it shelters its sixth generation. It's appearances have been altered by every owner it has had, but the heart of it is unchanged."~"Christmas Gift"



Annie Dean's Easy Chicken Pie
1 (3 pound) chicken
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 soup can of chicken broth
1 can baby sweet peas
1 frozen package of mixed vegetables
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
2 t. Worcestershire sauce
1 t. Tabasco sauce
salt and pepper to taste
3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
Biscuit Mix
Milk

Cook the chicken until tender. Remove skin and bones. Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and place in an 11 " x 13" baking dish,. Add soup, broth, veggies and seasonings. Gently cover the the biscuit mix which has been mixed with enough milk, to make a pour consistency. I normally use 2 cups of mix. Bake at 350 degrees F. for about 45 minutes. ~Gluckstadt, MS.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post Betsy! Says what's in my heart and just may inspire me to do this year's Christmas letter. Every year I try my best to write something that's from our Christmas Past. I always think I've written down all my memories, but this post reminds me that the farm that's been in our family for 5 generations still has a heartbeat. It's the reason we all have a sense of place. We know where we came from and no matter where we live, it pulls us home. Thanks Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy that this evoked memories of happy times Joy. I know all too well the transition you are going through and it's certainly not easy. I bring out this book every Christmas and reread the beautiful life story of Dr. Ferrol Sams....it too reminds me of my childhood, along with Mother and Daddy and grandparents....warmed my heart that it was something you enjoyed!

      Delete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.