March 18, 2012

Introducing Estelle's........Pucker Up for Pound Cake!

Welcome To Estelle's
The New Heart of Our Texas Home



For some time I have been turning over thoughts in my mind about how to refresh The Maine House blog once we completed the relocation. Everyone kept asking me if The Maine House would stay the same or if I would invent some catchy new title for our Texas home? Well, it came to me in the same manner in which I first invented this blog. Just thoughts from the heart....it just fell into place and seemed like a good fit! Estelle's was my dream and has always been in my soul....it is what kept the family close and created all of those special memories. The kitchen of course, where heartfelt talks were held, our souls were nourished and our food was blessed. She will always be there to welcome us home, wherever this should be. She originated in Texas, traveled to New England and is now back home in Texas, where it all began. The Maine House was fun and beautiful, but all good things must come to an end (and it was a happy ending)...and so, we are moving onward and upward...please join us in our family adventures.......we'll leave the light on as we welcome you to Estelle's!




ESTELLE'S BEST LEMON POUND CAKE
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, plus more for pan
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. With a mixer, cream butter and shortening together. Add sugar, a little at a time. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl and add to mixer alternately with milk, starting with the flour and ending with the flour. Mix in vanilla. Pour into a greased and floured tube pan and bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. I have often made this recipe in small individual bundt pans. I then serve the individual cakes with fresh strawberries and fresh sweetened whipping cream or a lemon glaze. They just seem more elegant that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.