August 13, 2011

Hidden Treasures!

As I have written before in previous posts, Darling and I are still unpacking....from two years ago, would you believe? I happened to think about a little Sunbeam piemaker that the Divine Miss M gave me for Christmas years ago in Texas. Now, where do you suppose that little pie maker is? Then I remembered my little deep fryer? Where do you suppose THAT is? I used that to make all the fritters and soapapillas on our Tex-Mex dinner nights? OK, I was on a mission! We unpacked the rest of the boxes in the basement and still did not locate either appliance! I am quite frustrated! The packers seemed to have labeled every box, "holiday decor!" Now I fully realize I love every seasonal holiday and own up to having an extensive collection of fall, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter and summer decor, but this is incredible!! I found one of Robbie's shirts in a crockpot, of all things, and one of my beloved music boxes in with a box of quilts!  Darling came across a box of old tins and baskets and said, "Do you want to keep any of this...looks like junk, so let's toss this box!" "WAIT!..........let me just go through it quickly...maybe my little piemaker is in there!" Well....it wasn't.....BUT....I came across an oldie but goodie....the 100th anniversary edition of the Beatrix Potter cookie tin! A hidden treasure in my mind!


Whew! That was close one!
 I heard Darling give a deep sigh and shake his head...
wonder what he meant by that?





Estelle's Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups butter, softened
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 (3.4 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups chopped walnuts

 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour and baking soda, set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Beat in the instant pudding mix until blended. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Edges should be golden brown.




Apple Strusel Cream Cheese Bars
1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) prepared oatmeal cookie mix
1/2 cup firm butter or margarine
2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 can (21 oz) apple pie filling
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.  Place cookie mix in large bowl. With pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly and coarse. Reserve 1 1/2 cups crumb mixture; press remaining crumbs in bottom of pan. Bake 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, flour, vanilla and egg with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over partially baked crust. In medium bowl, mix pie filling and cinnamon. Spoon evenly over cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle reserved crumbs over top. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake 35 to 40 minutes longer or until light golden brown. Cool about 30 minutes. Refrigerate to chill, about 2 hours. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. Store covered in refrigerator!

One of my favorite things!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.