April 26, 2011

Feathering Your Nest!

For as long as I can remember, I have had a love for birds..anything birds.....home decor, bird figurines, portraits of birds, etc. When we took our weekend trips over to New Orleans, Daddy would always head for his favorite hobby store to purchase one of his newly desired train cars (he was an avid train buff and had several different scales of trains). When we were browsing around in the hobby store, I discovered little bird kits that you assembled and painted. So, each trip, I was allowed to purchase a new bird kit which I promptly began to assemble and paint back at the hotel. I think it was probably a means to keep me occupied and quiet while they relaxed and savored their evening cocktails before we headed out to dinner down in the French Quarter. Today, I seem to still drift toward incorporating and displaying birds throughout The Maine House in some form or the other. Perhaps, these designs will also inspire you to bring nature indoors...I find it comforting and peaceful!

A Maine House Mosaic

BAREFOOT CONTESSA'S  SMOKED SALMON FRITTATA
1 medium onion, diced
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
12 extra-large eggs
1 cup heavy cream
4 ounces fresh goat cheese, such as Montrachet, crumbled
1/2 pound smoked salmon, chopped
3 scallions, chopped, white and light green parts
3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Saute the onion and butter in a 10-inch oven-proof omelet pan over medium-low heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add the heavy cream, goat cheese, smoked salmon, scallions, dill, salt, and pepper and combine. Pour the mixture over the onions and place the omelet pan in the center of the oven. Bake the frittata for about 50 minutes, until it puffs and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Serve hot directly from the pan.





.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.