June 14, 2018

VINTAGE AMERICANA


I had not really planned to decorate for the July 4th holiday,
but then I decided I should do something special for the summer.
Although we will be in recovery mode the entire month of July,
it's important to create special memories and have our home
reflect the seasons....
so this post is dedicated 
to anyone who remembers the joy of a golden summers day
and
enjoying an ice cold coca-cola under a big shade tree......


We have enjoyed so many family cook-outs
complete with burgers on the grill, oldies but goodies on the radio
and a neighborhood July 4th parade marching down the street.


I gathered up all the red, white and blue I owned
and then began to pick and choose what I would use
for our Americana vignettes.
I decided to go "vintage" as I always incorporate
family heirlooms while decorating.....
items that have memories and meaning.


I love, love, love using Sunflowers
in floral arrangements, both in summer and also in fall.


Remember as a child, loving grilled hot dogs and ice cold watermelon?


I have always been fond of this photo of Mother which
appeared to be taken in a cemetery in Ohio....she looked
adorable in her little sailor pantsuit!


This plate is one that belonged to my grandmother 
which depicts historic places in
Hope Springs, Arkansas.
Arkansas was the 25th state in the Union.
The vintage linen napkin also belonged to her.


The Betsy Ross design is from the Bethany Lowe collection.


The Johnson Brothers plate is a thrift find.


I don't think there is a Johnson Brothers pattern that I don't 
fall in love with...


During the summer months, while visiting our Grandmother Grace,
we spent evenings running around her huge back yard, picking
blackberries and catching fireflies with our cousins.


In elementary school, we always began the
mornings with a devotional and saying
I Pledge Allegiance to the Flag.....


Don't you adore the fruits of summer?


My dear sister, Miss Judy,
sent this to me and I absolutely adore this painting.
It is so depictive of the delta in our home state of Mississippi.
It is an original oil painting signed by the artist.


It can be a rather enjoyable project to pull together
your seasonal vignettes!


Be sure to bring out your summer cookbooks...
pick out a recipe you have always wanted to try...
perhaps a pie, peach cobbler or a new
strawberry shortcake recipe!


I decided to satisfy our craving for a freshly
baked cherry pie!


Did you ever attend a July 4th Ice Cream Social?


I need to publish my recipe for
Lone Star Pecan Cake....
it's great for BBQ's on the fourth...
needs no frosting...only a dusting of powdered sugar!


I wish you a lovely summer...
take time to enjoy family and please
teach  your children kindness and let's
all appreciate the little things in life....
HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA

3 comments:

  1. What a delightful post, Betsy! You have great Fourth of July items! We've always had a BBQ, a swim at my parents house, and fireworks! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all so pretty! I would love your pecan cake recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every photo is so lovely. I am glad that you are decking out for the 4th. Blog as you can and we will help keep you and your Beloved in good spirits until he can be up and at’em again.

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.