November 20, 2017

THANKSGIVING SOUTHERN FARE....THE BUTTERMILK SOUR CREAM POUND CAKE

In the South, every dining room sideboard
is going to feature a pound cake!
It's tradition!
This is a recipe Mother used often
and it is so melt in your mouth good....
it's going to WOW your family and guests!


BUTTERMILK SOUR CREAM POUND CAKE
2 sticks butter
3 cups sugar
6 eggs, separated
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups flour
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup sour cream


Preheat oven to 325°. Generously grease and flour a tube pan. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside. In a small bowl, mix sour cream and buttermilk until smooth. Set aside. Keep egg whites in a medium-large bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic to make sure nothing splashes in it.

 In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until well combined.

Add 1/3 c. of the flour mixture. Mix just until combined. Then add 1/2 of the sour cream-buttermilk blend. Mix just until combined. Add the rest of the flour mixture alternately with the wet mixture and mix until combined.

 Let it sit while you beat the egg whites until stiff peaks are formed. Carefully fold the egg whites into the batter until all combined.
Spoon into the tube pan. Lift pan a few inches and drop onto counter to release any air bubbles.

Bake for 1 hour. Depending on where you live and your oven, baking time may vary. A toothpick inserted in center will come out clean.
 Let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and place on serving platter or cake saver. Glaze while still warm.

Recipe for glaze: 3 tablespoons real butter 1 cup powdered sugar 3 tablespoons milk 1 teaspoon vanilla. Melt butter in small sauce pan. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. Pour over warm cake.


12 comments:

  1. Betsy, That cake is so perfect. I can even imagine having a slice for breakfast....that is if any is left over. :) Your grandmother Estelle, would be so proud of the many recipes you have cooked and shown all of us. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Susie..yes, a slice for breakfast with coffee is lovely! I have one more post before signing off until December, so let me wish you a very HAPPY AND LOVELY THANKSGIVING DAY!

      Delete
  2. That looks delicious! Wishing you a lovely Thanksgiving week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy the recipe Linda...I am loving it that you are sharing your favorite recipes lately! I have one more post before I take a break until December, so I wish you and your sweet family a lovely Thanksgiving! Hugs!

      Delete
  3. I am gonna try this sounds wonderful
    Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!
    Nancy
    wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning! I hope you enjoy the recipe and I wish you a lovely Thanksgiving Day!

      Delete
  4. What a lovely cake! I love traditions at Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Thanksgiving Deanna....I hope you have a lovely and blessed holiday!

      Delete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. Your recipe for the cake is one I will be making in the next week. Thank you. I didn't realize that you are signing off until December. I will miss your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Betsy, if this cake was on a sideboard at my house, I would walk around with a knife in my hand and cut little slivers all day. It's perfect on that plate. The little dog video is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Cake!!! Hoping your family has an awesome Turkey Day and that all of your "thankfuls" surround the ones you love!
    Any way you could send your crock pot macaroni n cheese recipe from your sidebar?? I've looked and looked and can't find the post where you talked about it. I'm thinking I better have that ready for the kiddos while I get the rest of the meal ready!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://themainehouse.blogspot.com/2013/06/slow-cooker-mac-and-cheesea-country.html..HERE IS THE RECIPE Janey...under the label SLOW COOKING

      Delete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.