December 5, 2011

Christmas Bourbon Custards

Hoping you are on Santa's good list!
Merry Christmas





My Dear Susie Clemens..........

"...I have received and read all the letters which you and your little sister have written me by the hand of your mother and your nurses; I have also read those which you little people have written me with your own hand's for although you did not use any characters that are in the grown peoples' alphabet, you used the characters that all children in all lands on earth and in the twinkling stars use; and as all my subjects in the moon are children and use no character but that, you will easily understand that I can read your and your baby sister's jagged and fantastic marks without any trouble at all...You will find that I made no mistakes about the things which you and the baby ordered in your own letters-I went down your chimney at midnight when you were asleep and delivered them all myself-and kissed both of you, too, because you are good children, well trained, nice mannered, and about the most obedient little people I ever saw." -Mark Twain as "Santy Claus", (1835-1910)









ESTELLE'S BOURBON CUSTARDS
6 large egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
pinch salt
2 cups whole milk, warmed
1 tablespoon good Kentucky Bourbon (Estelle's uses Jack Daniels)
sweetened whipped cream and freshly grated nutmeg or ground cinnamon,
 for garnish

Place a medium glass bowl in the refrigerator to chill. In a heavy nonreactive saucepan combine the egg yolks, sugar, flour, and salt. Beat until the mixture is pale yellow. Place over low heat and slowly stir in the warm milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until custard coats a wooden spoon quite thickly, about 5 minutes.
Immediately pour the custard into the chilled mixing bowl; cover and place in the refrigerator until custard is cold, about 2 hours. When the custard is chilled, stir in the bourbon. Serve in dessert cups, topped with sweetened whipped cream. Sprinkle a little nutmeg or cinnamon over the whipped cream.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.