September 26, 2011

Vintage Quilts

The architecture in New England is well worth exploring. The Maine House is Colonial style, which was number one on my wish list while house hunting. I have collected quilts ever since we have been married. Mother adored quilts so I suppose I inherited this passion from Miss Helen. Both of my grandmothers had handmade quilts and often displayed them throughout their Ohio homes. Miss Judy also shares this love of collecting quilts and it certainly is enjoyable and educational learning about each other's latest find. Colonial homes lend themselves as the perfect setting in displaying quilts. Here are a few rooms at The Maine House that are made comfy, cozy in our quilt collection. I think one of my favorite ways is to use them as tablecovers for holiday dinners, in addition to displaying them in the bedrooms.



The Coastal Room...Blue and Yellow Toile, paired with  an Ivory Apothecary quilt which is light enough for summer or as an extra layer for chilly nights.
 The design is inspired by vintage tin ceilings


 A Perfect Setting for Morning New England Coffee in the Garden


Freshly Picked Apples against Yellow Toile Pillow
 


Vintage Tea Towels from Dr. Bo's Great Aunt
paired with Grandmother's Tatted Dresser Scarf
displayed over the cottage throw pillows



Estelle's Antique Windsor Chair in the garden


Quilt Rack in The Cottage Room



The Waverly Quilt Patterns in The Cottage Room




Soft Sage, Burgundy and Cream in the Master Bedroom
 Displayed on a Traditional Queen Anne Four Poster Bed



My favorite fall quilt which provides the perfect background for Autumn dinners.
I often used this for our Texas Thanksgivings!


Summers on The Beach


Now here is my  new find! This quilt was made by Margaret Solomon Gunn, who resides right here  in our own little New England village. She entitled her pattern as "Summer on the Beach!" Oh, be still my heart. Miss Margaret commented that this is her original design and  was made over an 18 month period.  It has been to a couple quilt shows, earning ribbons at each. I have put a little request in Darling's ear that this would make a perfect anniversary gift for us. Well for me really. He laughed. Since we will be celebrating our 39th wedding anniversary in November and our most memorable family trips are always spent during the summer months on Santa Rosa Island, what better heirloom to pass down to the children representing our lives together! Perfect....a Maine Quilt! I hope he remembers!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.