February 5, 2021

WINTER BAKING....WINNING RECIPES FROM SAVORY TO SWEET


I really miss going out to dinner!
We have not been out to a restaurant in over a year now
as we simply do not feel it's worth the risk...
perhaps toward summer things will have improved
and we can dine outdoors safely!
I now know quite a few people who have come down
with Covid so for the time being, we feel it's best to remain cautious.....

While the winter season gives us time to rest and reflect within
our homes, planning meals and intimate gatherings
for those we love can still add so much happiness to our lives.

 

Estelle's has always been founded on bringing you
delicious, easy recipes which will provide some
inspiration for those who share my love of creating
and cooking homemade meals for your family!


It's a pure joy to choose specific cookbooks from my collection
and select different recipes to try throughout the month.....
there is no better cuisine than SOUTHERN......
no surprise being born and raised in Mississippi!

Here's what was on the menu in late January
which made my best of the best list!


SPINACH STUFFED SHELLS

filling:

2 lbs. spinach
22 oz. ricotta
1 cup mozzarella
3/4 cup Parmesan
1 egg
salt
pepper
several teaspoons nutmeg
several teaspoons Italian seasoning

Topping:
26 oz. tomato sauce
1 cup mozzarella

24 jumbo pasta shells

1 15-oz. container ricotta

2 cups shredded mozzarella

1/2 cup shredded Parmesan

1 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
 (use fresh-Cooked)

1 large egg, lightly beaten

Salt and pepper

1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

Pinch of ground nutmeg

1 26-oz. jar spaghetti sauce


1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Mist a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Cook pasta shells according to package label directions; drain and set aside to cool. While pasta cooks, in a large bowl, stir together ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella, Parmesan, spinach, egg, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and nutmeg.

2. Spread 3/4 cup spaghetti sauce over bottom of baking dish. Stuff shells with cheese-and-spinach mixture and place in dish. Spoon remaining sauce over shells and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup mozzarella.

3. Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake about 10 minutes longer, until bubbly and cheese begins to brown.


Now for new recipes that were favorites in our family!





Did you happen to catch the WOLF MOON?


There is magic to be shared in your own backyard sometimes........

8 comments:

  1. I understand how you feel about dining in a restaurant. I enjoy cooking, but it sure would be nice to eat out and not worry about doing it. We had our first Covid vaccine on Wed. and are still not feeling that great. Fever, hot flashes, extremely sore arm and headaches. I'm really not looking forward to the second shot. The food you make always looks absolutely delicious! Hugs to you from Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ELLEN....that's not very good is it? We are on a long, long list so I think it's going to be awhile....it's very disappointing that the government is so poor at the process! I hope you feel better soon,...please take good care! Enjoyed your visit today...hugs from Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have made some wonderful winter meals. I love the moon shots. I am so glad you are staying safe. We do not go out to eat or even to family's homes. It's not the way life was meant to be...but we keep ourselves and others safe. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Susie..I think many of us are in the same boat....hopefully Summer will look a bit brighter and we can go out and live life again...stay safe..warm hugs!

      Delete
  4. I am not afraid to go out. I just keep my distance and wear my mask. There aren't very many places open to eat around here and I've been to only one restaurant (and that was last July) but we call out once a week to give me a break. My sister has gotten both of her Covid shots and she had no side effects at all. Joe had his first one and he was fine also. I'm looking forward to getting mine, but so far I am not old enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got my first shot last week! Same day I had to have MRI 🤷‍♀️ Seems the vertebrae in my back are tired of being quarantined too...they are continuing to de-generate and I’m bucking surgery. Have never heard one success story with spinal surgeries...
    Just saw where y’all have wintry weather this morning...great....I need to drive over to help my daughter in law struggle thru a 3 day infusion for her autoimmune problems 😢.
    But I keep talking to my friend,Jesus, to get us thru all of this. He will. I just know He will.
    After my 2nd shot.....I’m getting in my car and heading straight to beach. Alone. To simply sit on the beach and let the sound of the waves replenish my soul. !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh.....and your chicken pot pie was my decision for tonight. But that led me to think of another type. So crawfish pie it will be with sautéed scallops on side!!! Thanks for idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI JANEY...sounds as if you have alot going on...bless you! Spinal surgery would scare me to death....I'll say a prayer for you....we are continuing to wait on a very long list in our county for the Covid vaccine...it's very, very long....who knows? Yes, we have decided that a beach trip is just a must this summer....we need to start living again. Stay well and safe...hugs!

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.