September 25, 2022

Victoria Sandwich Cake...A TRIBUTE TO QUEEN ELIZABETH II

 



Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Windsor
1926-2022

I adored Queen Elizabeth from the time I was a very young child.
She had an elegance and quiet strength about her.....always.
She had such a remarkable life, and I wanted to pay tribute to her
on Estelle's!



I hope you enjoy this darling little video

This is a small everyday cake meant for tea
rather than an elaborate celebration.
And, because it's made with "self-rising flour,"
it's an everyday kind of cake to make.

This recipe is from King Arthur Baking Company.
The cake is like a buttery pound cake
with Strawberry Jam and sweetened whipped cream...
I added fresh strawberries to the jam and it is
topped off with a dusting of powdered sugar!




VICTORIAN SANDWICH CAKE








6 comments:

  1. What a nice post today. I watch Darren McGrady all the time. I've even made some of his recipes. I haven't tried the Victoria Sandwich Cake though although I have seen several shows of people making it. Hmmm... It might be the next thing I make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I like watching him. He's a cheery chef. (Not usually a fan of this cake because the crumb is not as fine as I prefer, but it certainly looks delicious. And I have some jam that requires using.) Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the English prefer different textures in baking which differs from our American palette, but I had fun baking this cake in honor of the Queen!

      Delete
  3. This is a keeper - perfect when you want just a little sweetness. I can't usually follow British recipes since the measurements are in the metric system, so thanks for the translation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it a take on the Victorian Sponge cake? That is very similar but the cake has a finer crumb. This looks amazing, Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is drier than a sponge cake Deanna....I just wanted to make this for the fun of it....it has a dry texture and is served for just an afternoon casual tea time...so English, right?

      Delete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.