December 13, 2017

HOLIDAY JOY.....CAN YOU FIND IT?


She moved out of state....clear across the country.
It's probably been five years now.
They met by chance and a friendship grew....
both are in their late 60's. 
The house in which they live, belongs to him, which
was the home that actually belonged to his parents, now deceased.
The house resides in a very small town in the Northeast,
which is now laden with snow on bare branches.
The home is two story and is stacked to the ceiling with
old outdated law books. 
When asked, "How are you celebrating
the Christmas season?".....her response was....
"Well, we're not doing anything. We are not buying gifts,
we are not putting up a tree....maybe taking in a movie on
Christmas day."

Let's stop the clock a minute.......

“It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas;
Soon the bells will start,
And the thing that will make them ring
Is the carol that you sing
Right within your heart.”


Remember how it feels to hang the boughs of pine
to welcome your loved ones home for the holidays......


Remember the anticipation of finding the perfect tree........


Remember bringing it home and shopping for the perfect gifts
for your family and friends.....
It was time to bring out the heirloom ornaments
drink hot chocolate and listen to Christmas music
as you strung the lights......



Remember how warm and cozy you felt
as you poured your morning coffee into a festive
Christmas mug......


Remember how peaceful you felt
as you sat by the tree in the evenings....
transporting you back to your childhood
and all the sweet memories that swirled about......


Remember the delight you felt when building
your Christmas village and seeing
the wonderment in children's eyes as they played
with the tiny characters within the magical town.....


Remember the aroma of pine, evergreen, cinnamon and citrus
that your baking created throughout your home.....


Remember an evening at the theater
watching The Nutcracker



Remember being transported back to the
world of Dickens as you enjoyed
A Christmas Carol......


Remember the Christmas dinners
with all the special holiday foods...
real butter and cream....the holiday ham
and
Christmas cakes.....the brandy laced eggnog.....


Remember the Christmas Eve service
all aglow with candlelight.......


Remember the choir singing
O Holy Night.....

“It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas;
Soon the bells will start,
And the thing that will make them ring
Is the carol that you sing
Right within your heart.”



13 comments:

  1. what a joy that was. the journey of what Christmas is about.
    for people with no family or very few... and who've lost their husband...
    it is good to remember that the rituals of beauty and joy are always still worthwhile.
    it adds so much to our lives. we learn that all the elements don't HAVE to be there.
    it is there to appreciate! and ours for the taking.
    and for the giving. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy....I felt very sad when I heard our friend was not celebrating in any way for Christmas...I just thought a reminder was needed that we must realize we create our own pathway through life and why not make it joyous! Warm hugs from me to you!

      Delete
  2. that was such a lovely post and a reminder to really think about what makes us happy this time of year. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy you enjoyed this Patricia..wishing you a very, very Merry Christmas season!

      Delete
  3. Betsy, I loved reading your post. It made me think of others. My neighbor man from town who lost his wife 3 years ago. I miss her and I miss him. I have always sent him cards. I know his son's family will be with him, but I can remember looking out our kitchen window and seeing Leroy and Helen together in their kitchen. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The holidays are very bittersweet for many when they have lost a loved one Susie. My mother was one of them. But somehow we must find the joy and celebrate the birth of the Christ child. There is happiness still to be had. Blessings and hugs to you and those you love.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a Christmas story you could write so well! ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vee...I certainly do miss your blog and reading about life in Maine...hope you are well and enjoying the holiday season!

      Delete
  5. I have friends who don't do anything if their kids and grands are not with them for the holiday. I will always celebrate even if it is only for myself! Its important to remember the reason for the season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel sad for those who find no reason to enjoy the Christmas season....it's a gift and such a beautiful time of the year. I have so enjoyed your decorations Deanna.

      Delete
  6. I've seen many people who get a little older and just stop celebrating Christmas. I hope to never get there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is our first year of...doing very little at Christmas, too. But I won't be wondering if I bought the "perfect gift", or whether my dessert was impressive enough---or whether I was enough! I love our memories of Christmases past; I look forward to future Christmases, but this Christmas just be small because of health reasons. I can understand your friend's view. We can all celebrate a Christmas that suits our little or big lives. I have no heightened expectations, and I will enjoy Christmas in my heart! Merry Christmas to you---you have a beautiful way of sharing your stories and recipes. Thank you for the gift of that---making this place a Christmas joy to visit.

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.