October 17, 2022

HOSTING FAMILY FOR AN OCTOBER HARVEST DINNER



Every day, I put effort into making our home warm and inviting
for my family....and this can be in varying ways....
kind words.....a clean home....home cooked meals...
a pleasant outdoor space...a pretty seasonal tablescape,
and soft cozy linens in their bedrooms and bath.
This is a delightful book I just added to our library
and I highly recommend it for the fall and winter season.
Authored by Liz Marie Galvan, she shares ideas for the seasons,
and for the fall season, there is a wealth of ideas such as
creating and Apple Cider Bar, decorating a plate rack, how to make
your own antique art, and much more!

I took time for some retail therapy today
and wanted to pick up a few items for this harvest dinner
and I came across some treasures....all from Walmart!


I love for our home to smell like the season when entering....
I love tucking sachets in amongst pillows and throw....


Aren't these precious?
And, when someone needs to wrap in a cozy throw
while watching a movie, the fragrance will be an added bonus!



I pulled together a tablescape for this dinner
by simply pulling from other areas of our home....
I prefer my tablescapes to be casual and love using earth tones.



The new item was this set of placemats which I
was over the moon happy with.....



The perfect colors and textures that I love using for this time of year.....



Our menu for tonight's dinner is
my homemade beef stew, hot biscuits
and a big pan of my bread pudding with rum custard!



The tablescape is complete!
I so love using these very old brass candlesticks in the fall
with white tapered candles, I save year after year.



Neutral linen napkins with wooden napkin rings offer a lovely touch
to a creamy white dinner plate.



It's all about bringing together different textures that marry well together.



Time to light the candles.....



There is something so charming about dinner by candlelight.....



Hot buttery biscuits with sea salt butter and raspberry jam



Homemade beef stew...
potatoes, carrots, onions and butternut squash in a rich 
beef gravy, simmered in red wine.....



And a sweet ending of decadent brioche bread pudding.....

These days of retirement, it is all about finding that coziness and calm
we are all seeking. 
I love creating a space that welcomes, nourishes and surrounds our family
with warmth, love, peacefulness and comfort.








 

9 comments:

  1. You are in incredible homemaker...truly. It is lovely that you share your ideas with us. I love the beautiful photography of food and sweet domesticity. I am snagging the idea for sachets mixed in with the throws. I keep my throws in a large lidded basket and I think the added sachets will be just the thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear Vee...you are so kind. Yes, add a few inexpensive sachets to your throws....it is delightful when you need a throw while relaxing and you can gently smell the aroma of your choice... Maybe lavender, lilac or spice....enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Can I come for dinner? Everything is perfect. I would love to sit down at that beautiful table, savor that delicious food, and have a wonderful conversation with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kathy.....you have an open invitation...I would love nothing more....if you and Joe ever come to Texas....you must come over...warm hugs!

      Delete
  3. You have such a knack for decorating. I love how the table turned out. And, the food too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Latane...thank you for your sweet comments and for stopping by today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sachets! Delightful idea. I'd think a softer effect, than candles.

    That book looks delightful...

    Oh your Beef Stew!!!

    Thank you for another lovely post...

    🎃 🎃 🎃 🎃 🎃 🎃

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your table setting is lovely, Betsy. I especially love the candle holders. I have a set that is very similar that belonged to my grandmother, and I just cleaned them and put them out. It's hard to find those tapers any more. You found some wonderful things at Walmart. Your beef stew looks delicious, and perfect for the cold weather that is coming soon. And your bread pudding looks so good. I love all the candle light in your home. Adds a cozy and welcoming touch. And I was drawn to that vase with the golden flowers. It's so pretty. Everything looks wonderful, and you did a great job creating a charming and homey space for your family.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.