February 1, 2022

MOST REQUESTED GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE

Well hello there all you Kindred Spirits....
I hope this finds you well and happy!

How have these cold winter days been treating you?

The darling and I actually enjoyed a date night
and met up with our son and daughter-in- law

for cocktails and dinner.....it was a delightful Saturday night
and it felt soooo good to get dressed up for a night on the town!

Luke the Duke is growing up by leaps and bounds....
he finished up basketball season with a glorious win
and also is trying out a new haircut, which I simply adore!

Winter days are just meant for baking and I have been
trying new recipes to perfect my baking skills, while
also visiting old school favorites for dinner!
In honor of Valentine's Day coming up,
you may want to make the love of your life
this divine German Chocolate Cake!
This cake is layer upon layer of goodness...
if I owned a bakery, then this would be
a featured item!



Warm + Cozy
WINTER BAKING


GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 cups granulated sugar

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

2 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

1 cup whole milk

2 large eggs

2 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 cup canola oil

1 cup boiling water

Coconut Pecan Frosting
2 cups evaporated milk
2 cups sugar
6 egg yolks, beaten with 2 t. water
1 cup butter
2 t. vanilla
2 cups chopped pecans
2 cups flaked coconut


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two 9-inch round cake pans, then line bottom with a round of parchment paper. Butter parchment then dust pans lightly with cocoa powder or flour and shake out excess. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. 

Add the milk, eggs and vanilla and using an electric hand mixer beat on medium speed until combined. Reduce the speed to low and mix in the oil. 

With the mixer still on low, carefully and slowly pour in boiling water and mix until well combined, about 2 - 3 minutes. Pour batter into prepared cake pans.

Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 - 35 minutes. Let cakes cook 10 minutes then invert onto wire racks to cool completely. 

Once cool spread about 1/3 of the frosting over one layer of cake. Top with the second layer of cake and frost only the top of the cake with the remaining frosting.


  The frosting

In a large saucepan whisk together evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla. until very well combined. 

Cook over low heat until mixture reaches a slow boil, stirring constantly until thick. This normally takes about twelve minutes. Remove from heat, stir in coconut and pecans. This mixture will thicken as it cools. Once cooled, spread over cooled cake.

I am a lover of Biographies and Documentaries.....
If you are looking for an extraordinary documentary,
I highly recommend this one now featured on Netflix!

18 comments:

  1. Thank you for the recommendation.

    Luke! My goodness that boy is growing up fast. He's going by his mom very soon.

    I do love a German Chocolate Cake. In my dreams I can enjoy a piece. ☺️ Have a fabulous February.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're not snowed under Vee....perhaps you can try this for your next family gathering..it will be a real crowd please! Hugs from Texas!

      Delete
  2. What a doll he is!!! and I think with each new pic you show us, he looks more and more just like his mom!...
    Can't wait to make this cake...my group loves german chocolate....
    But will have to wait a while...I tested positive this morning and feel like I may be bed bound for a bit. This cake will give me something to look forward to!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I so hope you feel better very soon Janey...so many are coming down with Omicron but the good news is only feeling poorly a day or two! I feel you will be fine just take good care! A note on the cake...I cut the icing recipe in half....it was plenty for the middle and top of the cake! A great recipe to enjoy!

      Delete
  3. ps...and I think your son looks just like HIS dad!!! Beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious!! I have wonderful memories of the ones my Mother made for us! I still use her recipe and the cake pans she used, it has the little turn blade to make sure the cake doesn’t stick! Always enjoy your delightful recipes!
    Happy February ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a treasure to have your Mother's baking pans...now that must make any cake taste so delicious! That's a delightful little story...thank you for sharing with us today! Happy February to you also!

      Delete
  5. German chocolate cake is my favorite! My husband just asked me to make one and I think this time that I am going to make yours! I cannot wait to try it.
    Love that you are getting out with your family, it sounds like a wonderful date night.
    Love catching up with your family and you. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth....hope you enjoy this recipe! We are in for a winter blast of weather today...hope things are good at your home! Love your blog, always!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the recipe, YUM!!! It's always delightful taking the time for a date night . . . Steve and I were always planning them, but as we got older they started turning more into a favorite meal at home and a favorite movie :) Looking forward to watching the Anne Frank Documentary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie....I can so relate to a date night being a cozy evening at home...we do that also! I know you must treasure your memories of your sweet husband....the documentary is very well done..stay well and happy dear friend!

      Delete
  7. I always love your recipes! German Chocolate is the favorite of several of my sibings and I will be glad to have this recipe for the next time we are all together!
    Love seeing your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda....your siblings are going to love this recipe! Hope you and LD are feeling better...stay warm over the next few days! Warm hugs!

      Delete
  8. Fidèle lectrice de votre blog, j'habite en France, en Bretagne; je constate avec amusement que nous avons le même calendrier.
    Chaque année, j'achète un calendrier de cette peintre, j'aime beaucoup ce style de peinture américaine.
    Quant à ce gâterau, il est bien appétissant, je note la recette.
    Bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How very lovely to meet you and I so appreciate your sweet comments! I too love Americana art and am delighted that we share this in common! Hope you enjoy this wonderful and delicious cake recipe! Warm hugs from Texas and the good ole' USA!

      Delete
  9. I was one weird kid and not so sure how popular my birthday parties were. I've loved German Chocolate cake as far back as I can remember and always asked for it for my big day. But lots of kids don't really like coconut and my best friend was one of them...it made her want to lose it, so to speak. Bless her heart for even coming to my birthday parties. Ha! But then there were the pony and go-kart rides to make up for the dreaded cake. LOL!

    Your masterpiece there has me drooling and reminiscing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your story from childhood Tobe...I too have always loved this cake...strange for a child probably! Thanks so much for stopping by today and sharing this sweet memory...absolutely adorable!

      Delete
  10. it's always a joy to stop by here! and the new banner... OH MY! I love it. my Daddy was a Texan. and Mother was from upstate NY! I get a little mix of Both here! and it's always heartwarming for me. Thank You!
    I could eat that entire cake right NOW! those days are over I'm afraid. diabetes is not a fun disease. But! that certainly doesn't stop my memories of it! I could eat the frosting on Anything!
    Luke is so adorable. and Miss M looks just like YOU. your entire family is just beautiful. enjoy Our Snow!
    we finally got some!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.